Desktop Icons Start menu Taskbars gone

June 27, 2005 6:38:02 PM

My problem is now to get internet explorer working and Have some desktop
display like taskbar and start menu and icons show up. Can I get some hep
with these issues?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Please consult the experts in the virus removal newsgroup:
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "dave1ee" wrote:
>
> | I used AVG anti-virus from Grisoft to detect the StartPage21.AS,
> | Startpage.21.AR, & Startpage.BW hijacking virus and Now I can not completely
> | boot to the OS(WinXP home SP2) and have tried safe mode boot too. No Luck
> | they both get to where you should receive the sign on screen but just stop
> | there. I can use CTL/ALT/DEL to get to Task manager to run, I got AVG to run
> | from start new task and went into virus vault where it put the culprits.
> | The following files are the ones infected how what do I need to do to
> | restore or replace these files? XMLLIBUI.exe, xmllib.dll ( a count of 4 of
> | them), msxmidi.exe, iexplore_dbg.exe, explorer32dbg.exe - From
> | C:\Windows|xxxx, Tmntsvr32.EXE, SMSSU.EXE, From -
> | C:\Windows\System32\xxxx????????????????
> | Any and all help appreciated.
> |
> | TIA
> | Dave

June 27, 2005 11:48:25 PM

dave1ee wrote:

> My problem is now to get internet explorer working and Have some desktop
> display like taskbar and start menu and icons show up. Can I get some hep
> with these issues?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Please consult the experts in the virus removal newsgroup:
>>
>>--
>>Carey Frisch
>>Microsoft MVP
>>Windows XP - Shell/User
>>Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>>Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>>
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>"dave1ee" wrote:
>>
>>| I used AVG anti-virus from Grisoft to detect the StartPage21.AS,
>>| Startpage.21.AR, & Startpage.BW hijacking virus and Now I can not completely
>>| boot to the OS(WinXP home SP2) and have tried safe mode boot too. No Luck
>>| they both get to where you should receive the sign on screen but just stop
>>| there. I can use CTL/ALT/DEL to get to Task manager to run, I got AVG to run
>>| from start new task and went into virus vault where it put the culprits.
>>| The following files are the ones infected how what do I need to do to
>>| restore or replace these files? XMLLIBUI.exe, xmllib.dll ( a count of 4 of
>>| them), msxmidi.exe, iexplore_dbg.exe, explorer32dbg.exe - From
>>| C:\Windows|xxxx, Tmntsvr32.EXE, SMSSU.EXE, From -
>>| C:\Windows\System32\xxxx????????????????
>>| Any and all help appreciated.
>>|
>>| TIA
>>| Dave

If you are sure your system is now %100 malware free try a repair
installation: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you haven't already, make sure you have a backup of all important
data. If you can't do it with the system booted then slave the drive in
another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data. Then try the
repair install.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

The drive is in a laptop

"Rock" wrote:

> dave1ee wrote:
>
> > My problem is now to get internet explorer working and Have some desktop
> > display like taskbar and start menu and icons show up. Can I get some hep
> > with these issues?
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Please consult the experts in the virus removal newsgroup:
> >>
> >>--
> >>Carey Frisch
> >>Microsoft MVP
> >>Windows XP - Shell/User
> >>Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >>Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> >>
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> If you are sure your system is now %100 malware free try a repair
> installation: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> If you haven't already, make sure you have a backup of all important
> data. If you can't do it with the system booted then slave the drive in
> another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data. Then try the
> repair install.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:32:01 AM

I get the message "windows cannot find C:\Windows \explorer.exe" even when I
select it from task manager"new task" . Even thogh when I browse to it and
see it there, yes i have checked the properties and taken ownersip, still no
luck. It is the right size file & all as well

Dave

!