peter

Can anyone explain why Win XP-64 seems to be a leper? NO apps, no drivers and no information. I have an Athlon 64 processor so i decided to try WinXP 64 - it IS faster and I would love to keep using it but I am finding that a lot of stuff isn't available - no vido software for 64bit OS, took mw a week to find antivirus software (McAfee since Norton STILL does not support 64bit OS) I would have thoughthat there would be SOME software available, someone writing drivers but it seems to not be happening - can anyone tell me why?? BTW - one major issue right now is a 64-bit driver for a LExmard Z715 printer - any ideas???

Peter;
Because it is so new, there is little software and driver support.
That should improve as time goes on.
If 100% support is desired, the best option may be to buy a system from an
OEM dealing with 64 bit Windows.
Otherwise patience is necessary.
Further questions about drivers etc are better asked in the 64 bit
newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

<peter@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> Can anyone explain why Win XP-64 seems to be a leper? NO apps, no drivers
> and no information. I have an Athlon 64 processor so i decided to try
> WinXP 64 - it IS faster and I would love to keep using it but I am finding
> that a lot of stuff isn't available - no vido software for 64bit OS, took
> mw a week to find antivirus software (McAfee since Norton STILL does not
> support 64bit OS) I would have thoughthat there would be SOME software
> available, someone writing drivers but it seems to not be happening - can
> anyone tell me why?? BTW - one major issue right now is a 64-bit driver
> for a LExmard Z715 printer - any ideas???

See my "inline" comments;

Bobby

<peter@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> Can anyone explain why Win XP-64 seems to be a leper? NO apps, no drivers
> and no information.

There is plenty available if you know where to look.
Best place to start is www.planetamd64.com

I have an Athlon 64 processor so i decided to try WinXP 64 - it IS faster
and I would love to keep using it but I am finding that a lot of stuff isn't
available - no vido software for 64bit OS,

nVidia, ATI, and nost other major video cards *ARE* supported. If you
bought a 64 bit system, you chould have dteremined that the video card you
have is supported.

took mw a week to find antivirus software (McAfee since Norton STILL does
not support 64bit OS)

Both McAfee and Norton have products that work under Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition. You can purchase them on their websites. In addition, Avast
and AVG are free and have versions that are compatible.

I would have thoughthat there would be SOME software available, someone
writing drivers but it seems to not be happening - can anyone tell me why??
BTW - one major issue right now is a 64-bit driver for a LExmard Z715
printer - any ideas???

Logitech has 64 bit drivers for most of it's products. There are several
games that are 64 bit compatible. A quick trip to www.planetamd64.com will
show many 64 bit apps.

As for the printer, it is up to Lexmark to write the drivers. You can use
one of the "in the box" lexmark drivers for a model similar to yours.

In closing, before you come here complaining, you should do your homework.
Each statement you made is false and unsubstantiated. You are dealing with
a brand new OS...you have ot be prepared to spend a little time finding what
you need. You cannot expect Microsoft to hand you everything on a silver
plattter. If you are unwilling or unable to invest a little time and
energy, perhaps you shoudl just stick with Windows XP, where yyou cna be
spoon-fed.

Bobby

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:19:51 GMT, <peter@webmail.co.za> wrote:

>Can anyone explain why Win XP-64 seems to be a leper? NO apps, no drivers and no information. I have an Athlon 64 processor so i decided to try WinXP 64 - it IS faster and I would love to keep using it but I am finding that a lot of stuff isn't available - no vido software for 64bit OS, took mw a week to find antivirus software (McAfee since Norton STILL does not support 64bit OS) I would have thoughthat there would be SOME software available, someone writing drivers but it seems to not be happening - can anyone tell me why?? BTW - one major issue right now is a 64-bit driver for a LExmard Z715 printer - any ideas???

It's not up to MS to provide drivers for hardware. That is the
responsiblity of the hardware vendors.

It's also a brand new OS. Give it a little time for the vendors to
catch up to the technology.

Finally, post to the correct group. There is a group that deals
directly with the 64-bit version of the OS. This isn't it.

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Sorry to break this to you, but x64 is not for you - Not now anyway. Which
application do you think runs faster on x64? And do you use >4GB RAM?
Also, are you aware of the fact that 32bit software (not drivers) are mostly
compatible with x64.