Samsung 971P.... QUALITY Specs... just in case you care

Jamers

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Wow that's kind of pricey. And what's the deal with that odd looking plug on the base of the stand? It doesn't look like DVI to me.

What is dynamic? It is better technology or something?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
To understand the difference between Contrast Ratio and Dynamic Contrast Ratio, suggest you do internet search for explanation. It's too long for here.

Pricey? Compared to cheapo TN panels, I suppose so. For an SPVA panel (which is higher quality, better colors depth, better viewing angle, and therefore more expensive), $359 is quite a good price.

Jamers

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
So what are the prevailing technologies? And how do we rank them for quality? So far I've found :

a-si TFT/TN
a-si TFT active matrix
SPVA panel

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
So what are the prevailing technologies? And how do we rank them for quality? So far I've found :

a-si TFT/TN
a-si TFT active matrix
SPVA panel

"Active Matrix" means nothing. They are ALL active matrix.

Do some Google searches for TN Film, MVA, PVA, SIPS

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
First pro review of 971P... and it is GLOWING!

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=129784

Unfortunately, there's nothing "pro" about that review...
Still waiting.

The model looks good though. Maybe too good to be true.
I failed to find information about the driver issue. Is it Windows only monitor? Or one can adjust brightness/contrast through OSD?
Anyone?

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Just look at the "views" of the topic...a lot of people seem interested in 971P.
I gues its about time someone writes full review.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I suppose "pro" is a matter of degree. My definition is a review by someone who regularly reviews so he has comparative knowledge as opposed to a buyer who rates his as "cool".

It's for PC and Mac.

I believe the 970P had no separate OSD. You had to install the MagicTune software to be able to adjust the screen. That may be the case with the 971P, too. I prefer MagicTune to messing with OSD buttons.

Driver issue? I didn't know there was one.

Curiously, Newegg had the 971P (and the other new model, 931C) for a while, now not... and they're not listing them as "out of stock", just not listing them at all. I wonder what gives?

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
It's for PC and Mac.

It's for Windows and Mac, one should say :D
Samsung's software is for Windows only...I'm not familiar with Mac, there should be a standart way to change the parameters through DDC...

I just checked for 970P, users actually can control it under Linux through nvidia-settings (nVidia cards only) or DDCcontrol.

That's what I ment with "Driver issue", though I should've used "software issue."
Curiously, Newegg had the 971P (and the other new model, 931C) for a while, now not... and they're not listing them as "out of stock", just not listing them at all. I wonder what gives?

It's listed in Europe. The curious thing here is that I found only french sites selling and reviewing it.
http://www.prixdunet.com/details/Samsung_SyncMaster_971P/

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I've checked various sites for the 204T (20.1", UXGA version of the 940T, 970P), and it's mostly out of stock. I wonder if Samsung is coming with a 204T replacement with the same type panel as the 971P ??.

Foon

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
971P, the model is not S-PVA panel.
That's panel is just PVA panel.

Same model is selling in Korea as named as CX913P. It's panel is PVA. And also, CX913P model name is for Korea-internal name.
The model is same thing with 971P. (Samsung uses different model name for internal/external product.)

However, you can check the panel type of the 971P from Samsung's homepage.
There is no word like S-PVA in feature information page.
In specification page, it noticed as S-PVA, but it's wrong.

You can check it from Samsung via E-mail. I checked this via email, and Samsung ERMS replied they are wrong. I sent the URL of page contains wrong information to them. However, they did not modified the information still now.