Jimmy

Hi I just noticed yesterday that this gateway thing was in internet
connections. I disabled my internet connection to see if it would go away
when I re-enabled it. Anyway, when I re-enabled it, I couldn't use the
internet. I don't mind having this gateway thing there, but I don't want it
there. Can anyone help me?

In article <uWxwmu2eFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Jimmy"
<luckyjimmy10@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi I just noticed yesterday that this gateway thing was in internet
>connections. I disabled my internet connection to see if it would go away
>when I re-enabled it. Anyway, when I re-enabled it, I couldn't use the
>internet. I don't mind having this gateway thing there, but I don't want it
>there. Can anyone help me?

The Internet Gateway represents an Internet sharing device elsewhere
on your network, such as a broadband router or a computer running
Internet Connection Sharing. You can disable it on the router or the
ICS host.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Gateway is your door to internet.
Whenever you see a gateway address listed it means that any request you
place to a network outside like Internet this will be passed through this
address.

So it is important for a PC to access internet.
--
JonyBrv

"Jimmy" wrote:

> Hi I just noticed yesterday that this gateway thing was in internet
> connections. I disabled my internet connection to see if it would go away
> when I re-enabled it. Anyway, when I re-enabled it, I couldn't use the
> internet. I don't mind having this gateway thing there, but I don't want it
> there. Can anyone help me?

Sorry if I am mistaken. But don't we need a gateway address if he is primarly
using a Cable/DSL router to connect to internet.

--
JonyBrv

In article <39F25D42-3C8C-489A-ACAE-8DC855E91BAE@microsoft.com>,
"Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> In article <uWxwmu2eFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Jimmy"
>> <luckyjimmy10@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >Hi I just noticed yesterday that this gateway thing was in internet
>> >connections. I disabled my internet connection to see if it would go away
>> >when I re-enabled it. Anyway, when I re-enabled it, I couldn't use the
>> >internet. I don't mind having this gateway thing there, but I don't want it
>> >there. Can anyone help me?
>>
>> The Internet Gateway represents an Internet sharing device elsewhere
>> on your network, such as a broadband router or a computer running
>> Internet Connection Sharing. You can disable it on the router or the
>> ICS host.
>
>Sorry if I am mistaken. But don't we need a gateway address if he is primarly
>using a Cable/DSL router to connect to internet.

All Internet connections need a default gateway address: the address
of an Internet-connected router to which your computer sends packets
addressed to servers (WWW, E-mail, etc) on the Internet. You can see
the default gateway address by right-clicking XP's Internet connection
and clicking Status | Support.

I think that Jimmy's asking about something different: an "Internet
Gateway" connection that appears in the Network Connections folder.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks for your reply.
--
JonyBrv

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <uWxwmu2eFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Jimmy"
> <luckyjimmy10@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi I just noticed yesterday that this gateway thing was in internet
>>connections. I disabled my internet connection to see if it would go away
>>when I re-enabled it. Anyway, when I re-enabled it, I couldn't use the
>>internet. I don't mind having this gateway thing there, but I don't want
>>it
>>there. Can anyone help me?
>
> The Internet Gateway represents an Internet sharing device elsewhere
> on your network, such as a broadband router or a computer running
> Internet Connection Sharing. You can disable it on the router or the
> ICS host.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com