MN-700 hard crash

Last response: in Networking
July 2, 2004 10:04:23 PM

I have a MN-700 (ver. 02.00.08.0333) that has been running great for many
months (outside some previously posted wireless issues). However, I recently
found a way to consistently hard-crash the MN-700...

I recently enabled parental controls for one PC on my wired LAN. In the
MN-700 parental control config, I blocked all Internet access for this IP
address and permit only the domains "microsoft.com" and "symantec.com" (so I
can get Windows updates and AV updates). I plan to later add other domains
to the permit list as needed.

From the "parental controlled" PC, I can connect to the Microsoft website
without problems. Connection attempts to other websites display an "access
denied" message in the browser, as would be expected.

I can connect to the Windows update website, and the update process goes
fine until I click the "Install" button on the update web page. The download
dialog (with the two progress bars) is displayed, but the progress bars
never show any progress. At this point, the browser pretty much hangs, and
it would appear there is some connection problem. The link connection status
(in the Windows notification area) shows the send light blinking, but no
receive.

At this point the MN-700 goes completely dead. From another PC on the wired
LAN, I can no longer connect to the ".1" (admin) address on the MN-700.
Also, no PCs on the wired LAN can get to the Internet. The lights on the
MN-700 are on, and the modem light continues to blink, but the MN-700 is
non-functional (the lights are on, but nobody is home!! :-) ). The only way
to correct this problem is to physically power off the MN-700 and power it
back up again.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks.

- rcme

More about : 700 hard crash

July 10, 2004 6:22:34 AM

RCMe wrote:

> At this point the MN-700 goes completely dead. From another PC on the wired
> LAN, I can no longer connect to the ".1" (admin) address on the MN-700.
> Also, no PCs on the wired LAN can get to the Internet. The lights on the
> MN-700 are on, and the modem light continues to blink, but the MN-700 is
> non-functional (the lights are on, but nobody is home!! :-) ). The only way
> to correct this problem is to physically power off the MN-700 and power it
> back up again.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - rcme

I've experienced the exact problem many times, but under completley
different circumstances. Many nights I turn on eMule to run over night,
and in the morning the router shows the exact same problem you're
having: no internet conection, blinking modem light, unable to access
the router itself, and the only solution is a hard reset. I came to this
newsgroups looking for a soultion, but I can't find one either.
!