The backup utility is basically a Winzip

June 28, 2005 12:14:57 AM

I finally installed the backup utility thanks to the information on this
group but when I used it I noticed that the interesting features from a real
backup utility are missing.

Basically I am referring to that option that allows you to compare the
folders you backup with the one you had backed up before and only add the
new files that have been added or modified since your last backup, instead
of copying again all the contents of the folder.

Is this so or am I missing something?

Jorge E Jaramillo
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:05:13 AM

Jorge E. Jaramillo wrote:
> I finally installed the backup utility thanks to the information on
> this group but when I used it I noticed that the interesting features
> from a real backup utility are missing.
>
> Basically I am referring to that option that allows you to compare the
> folders you backup with the one you had backed up before and only add
> the new files that have been added or modified since your last
> backup, instead of copying again all the contents of the folder.
>
> Is this so or am I missing something?

In the Backup Utility - HELP --> Help Topics --> Index and search for
"Differentials"..

You find this:
----------
Types of backup
The Backup utility supports five methods of backing up data on your
computer or network.

- Copy backup
A copy backup copies all selected files but does not mark each file as
having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not
cleared). Copying is useful if you want to back up files between normal and
incremental backups because copying does not affect these other backup
operations.

- Daily backup
A daily backup copies all selected files that have been modified the day the
daily backup is performed. The backed-up files are not marked as having been
backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared).

- Differential backup
A differential backup copies files created or changed since the last normal
or incremental backup. It does not mark files as having been backed up (in
other words, the archive attribute is not cleared). If you are performing a
combination of normal and differential backups, restoring files and folders
requires that you have the last normal as well as the last differential
backup.

- Incremental backup
An incremental backup backs up only those files created or changed since the
last normal or incremental backup. It marks files as having been backed up
(in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). If you use a combination
of normal and incremental backups, you will need to have the last normal
backup set as well as all incremental backup sets in order to restore your
data.

- Normal backup
A normal backup copies all selected files and marks each file as having been
backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). With normal
backups, you need only the most recent copy of the backup file or tape to
restore all of the files. You usually perform a normal backup the first time
you create a backup set.

Backing up your data using a combination of normal backups and incremental
backups requires the least amount of storage space and is the quickest
backup method. However, recovering files can be time-consuming and difficult
because the backup set can be stored on several disks or tapes.

Backing up your data using a combination of normal backups and differential
backups is more time-consuming, especially if your data changes frequently,
but it is easier to restore the data because the backup set is usually
stored on only a few disks or tapes.
----------

I opened the backup utility, and before I even searched in the help for what
I wanted - I clicked on TOOLS --> Options and under the "Backup Type" tab I
found ther selection you were looking for. I thought maybe you have only
used the Wizard.. so I tried it.. And the last thing I got a choice of
doing was clicking on an "Advanced" button and choosing the type of backup..
=)

A little searching and reading what you click on goes a long way. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

> A little searching and reading what you click on goes a long way. ;-)

Now you've made blush. Believe me I am not one of those people but this time
I could not find those options.

Thanks a lot

JeJ
June 28, 2005 5:25:42 AM

And the backup utility that you installed is called............?

"Jorge E. Jaramillo" <king1george@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
I finally installed the backup utility thanks to the information on this
group but when I used it I noticed that the interesting features from a real
backup utility are missing.

Basically I am referring to that option that allows you to compare the
folders you backup with the one you had backed up before and only add the
new files that have been added or modified since your last backup, instead
of copying again all the contents of the folder.

Is this so or am I missing something?

Jorge E Jaramillo
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:25:43 AM

Backup utility from the Win Xp Cd

"Gale" <nospamnot@spammernot.com> escribió en el mensaje
> And the backup utility that you installed is called............?

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:25:44 AM

"Jorge E. Jaramillo" <king1george@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 3uAoF4eFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Backup utility from the Win Xp Cd
>
> "Gale" <nospamnot@spammernot.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> And the backup utility that you installed is called............?

What you are looking for is an incremental backup. Take out the tick in the
box for always starting with the wizard. Next time you start it the wizard
won't run. Look in the Tools menu -> Options -> Backup Type.

Kerry
!