Sign in with
Your question

Booting To Scsi Harddrive

Last response: in Storage
June 9, 2004 5:24:26 PM

Basically, I'm in one of those "You touched it and now it doesn't work" situations.

The CMOS was cleared on the motherboard (Not PnP compliant). I manually specified the IRQ and got the SCSI adapter to say "BIOS Installed" and it detects the drive. The SCSI card's BIOS also says that the drive is error-free. But the system WILL NOT BOOT to the drive. I booted to a DOS diskette and FDISK tells me that there are no fixed disk drives.

I pulled up the PDF at Adaptec's site and it mentions a BIOS option that this card does not have:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If you plan to boot your computer from
a SCSI device attached to the AHA-2940/
2940W, set the Boot Target ID setting in the
SCSISelect utility to correspond to the SCSI
ID of the device you are booting from (see
Configuring the Host Adapter on page 8).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no "Boot Target ID" option ANYWHERE. There is a "Send Start Unit Command" for each channel but I have tried setting it to "Yes" for the drive's channel and it doesn't help.

When booting, the SCSI card's BIOS is displayed and says that the drive was detected and is "Drive C: (80h)" but the system still does not boot...

I still get "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Help?

More about : booting scsi harddrive

June 9, 2004 8:23:22 PM

Are you using one of those first Athlon boards?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
June 9, 2004 8:29:20 PM

Honestly I don't think so. Its a Cyrix 486 processor, the motherboard has no labeling, except it shows a few VIA chips, one says VT82C486A, and the processor says CX486 DX2. Someone suggested me going into the bios and changing the boot order to floppy, scsi, but the only options for booting it gives is A,C and C,A. No other drives except those.
Related resources
June 9, 2004 9:56:27 PM

eew, you have 486 still? LOL, can't help it from the distance then, hardware that old has to have "personal" attention in most cases.

DOS does not see the drive? Then SCSI does not tell the BIOS there is one. I will have to hook up my P-200Pro PC with Adaptec to remind myself what has to be set as far as boot ID goes, so it may take a little. From what I remember Ctrl+A will get you there and then you have to scan IDs, reset everything to default, and do nothing else if you have only one drive, SCSI will assume to boot from that drive. In the BIOS should be set to boot from SCSI, if no such thing.. boot from IDE (as SCSI suppose to tell BIOS there is "IDE" on board). I am sure you know all this stuff, but just eliminating steps for myself in case it will not help.

June 10, 2004 12:22:51 AM

Yeah, control A gets me into the SCSI bios, it doesn't have a boot drive selection under that. The actual Motherboard bios has no scsi options, and it has 46 different selections for drive C: (all different size heads and cylenders). It's not my computer, and I HATE dealing with the old crap, but the guy wants it fixed and I want to find out why it will not work anymore.
June 10, 2004 12:50:17 AM

What do you mean it does not have boot ID option? What BIOS that AHA-2940 has? And by the way, what "software" that person is using on that machine? I don't think he will mind having a little faster machine, so if you can find something at the local goodwill and swap the stuffs around (but I am just thinking what I would do)?

June 10, 2004 8:00:09 AM

Hi!

I've worked with these cards, and never had the problem of having to set the boot device in SCSI BIOS because it will boot from whatever device is bootable. If multiple devices are bootable, then you'd have to set which one to boot from. But that's only for SCSI devices.

Your real probablem is that you need to set your BIOS to boot from SCSI, and...your BIOS isn't offering you that option.

If your version of DOS isn't detecting the 2940, you need a newer version of DOS!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 10, 2004 7:50:11 PM

Yeah, but the thing is that he is saying it was working before, so it can be fixed back to where it was (I hope), but in order to do that some body who knows old stuff has to SEE the thing.

June 10, 2004 9:51:32 PM

I started out with systems from that erra...but I'd hate to have to work on one again!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 10, 2004 10:35:22 PM

lol

!