question about dual layer media

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
I am reading lately about dual layer dvd burners as i am planning on buying one, currently leaning towards the nec since it can be found for as low as $90 on newegg.com . anyway, i read about the fact that dual layer media will cost around $10 a peice, is that true?? another thing, will we see in the future double sides dual layer media? meaning that we will be able to burn double layer on one side of the media, flip the dvd and burn another dual layer on it - a whopping 16gb on one media! is this something that would be possible?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual Layer media will probably drop in price rapidly over the next 2 years, then slowly after that. Double sided disk should be possible, but few companies will likely produce them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I'd imagine DL media should be under $5 a disc within 3-6 months.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
6 months sounds about right. We'll have to see dual-layer burners flood the market before the cost of media will come down.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Indeed. Although, I just heard of someone who can get DL media at 9.80USD. So I'm hoping (perhaps prematurely because I want some!) that it will be closer to the 3 months.