Hearing Distance Table (4th Ed) - Error or not

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Hello!

Is there something wrong with the Hearing Distance Table (Basic Set
Campaigns page 358) or have I misunderstood something?

In text, the following is mentioned:

"The range at which you can hear a sound at no penalty is given on the table
below. For each step by which you are closer than this, apply +1 to the
roll, while for each step by which you are more distant, apply -1. For
instance, to hear normal conversation at 8 yards would require a roll
at -3".

But according to the table, the range for "Normal Conversation" is 1 yard,
and 8 yards would be seven steps away from 1 yard (assuming that one step is
one yard), and the penalty would therefore be -7.

Or, assuming that one step is one yard, there should be a Sound which Range
should be 5 yards if the penalty is -3, right? Well, in the table, there is
no Sound with a 5-yard range.

What's going on? What am I missing (except a brain, of course)?

Cheers,

Kari

Kari Vatanen wrote:

> Is there something wrong with the Hearing Distance Table (Basic Set
> Campaigns page 358) or have I misunderstood something?
>
> In text, the following is mentioned:
>
> "The range at which you can hear a sound at no penalty is given on the table
> below. For each step by which you are closer than this, apply +1 to the
> roll, while for each step by which you are more distant, apply -1. For
> instance, to hear normal conversation at 8 yards would require a roll
> at -3".
>
> But according to the table, the range for "Normal Conversation" is 1 yard,
> and 8 yards would be seven steps away from 1 yard (assuming that one step is
> one yard), and the penalty would therefore be -7.

That would be a step _on the table_. 8 yards would be -3 (to light traffic,
loud conversation, noisy office).

Jefferson
http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

"Jefferson" <Jeff_Wilson63@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Kari Vatanen wrote:
>
>> Is there something wrong with the Hearing Distance Table (Basic Set
>> Campaigns page 358) or have I misunderstood something?
>>
>> In text, the following is mentioned:
>>
>> "The range at which you can hear a sound at no penalty is given on the
>> table below. For each step by which you are closer than this, apply +1 to
>> the roll, while for each step by which you are more distant, apply -1.
>> For instance, to hear normal conversation at 8 yards would require a roll
>> at -3".
>>
>> But according to the table, the range for "Normal Conversation" is 1
>> yard, and 8 yards would be seven steps away from 1 yard (assuming that
>> one step is one yard), and the penalty would therefore be -7.
>
> That would be a step _on the table_. 8 yards would be -3 (to light
> traffic, loud conversation, noisy office).

Ah, all right. That explains it. :) Thanks a lot!

-Kari

TRENDING THREADS