Somehow after blocking some Adware notified attempts to change regiestry
entires, I have "lost" all my file associations for my programs;
I tried the following after (reading Ramesh's post to Bill on 11-4-05) to
launch the registry editor without success
Start Run command.com
[I had to browse to command in windows to assoiciate this file, but it worked]
copy regedit.exe regedit.com
[this worked saying I had copied 1 file successfully]
start regedit.com
[this would not work - error message sayng no access]
can anybody - Ramesh - assist please?
PS:
I can get some programs to run by using browse to find them in the windows
programs area, but I am only guessing most of the time.

--
Regards
rbc

Click Start, Run and type Command.com
Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"

Fix the .exe association here:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
Set the (default) to exefile

Goto:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*

"%1" %*

Close Regedit.exe

Follow-up with Malware removal. See http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"rbc" <rbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow after blocking some Adware notified attempts to change regiestry
> entires, I have "lost" all my file associations for my programs;
> I tried the following after (reading Ramesh's post to Bill on 11-4-05) to
> launch the registry editor without success
> Start Run command.com
> [I had to browse to command in windows to assoiciate this file, but it
> worked]
> copy regedit.exe regedit.com
> [this worked saying I had copied 1 file successfully]
> start regedit.com
> [this would not work - error message sayng no access]
> can anybody - Ramesh - assist please?
> PS:
> I can get some programs to run by using browse to find them in the windows
> programs area, but I am only guessing most of the time.
>

> --
> Regards
> rbc

Tried your suggestion. An error message came up saying "application failed
to initialize properly" and it would not proceed any further.
--
Regards
rbc

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and type Command.com
> Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"
>
> Fix the .exe association here:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
> Set the (default) to exefile
>
> Goto:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
> Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*
>
> "%1" %*
>
> Close Regedit.exe
>
> Follow-up with Malware removal. See http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "rbc" <rbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Somehow after blocking some Adware notified attempts to change regiestry
> > entires, I have "lost" all my file associations for my programs;
> > I tried the following after (reading Ramesh's post to Bill on 11-4-05) to
> > launch the registry editor without success
> > Start Run command.com
> > [I had to browse to command in windows to assoiciate this file, but it
> > worked]
> > copy regedit.exe regedit.com
> > [this worked saying I had copied 1 file successfully]
> > start regedit.com
> > [this would not work - error message sayng no access]
> > can anybody - Ramesh - assist please?
> > PS:
> > I can get some programs to run by using browse to find them in the windows
> > programs area, but I am only guessing most of the time.
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> > rbc

Use this INF file to reset the .exe / .com / .reg associations:
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf
Link - Courtesy of Alan Edwards.

Right-click the INF file and choose Install (Download from another system if
needed, and transfer to the subject computer). Note that the
"DefaultInstall" section of the INF file is launched by Rundll32.exe (again,
and .exe file). If you're unable to Install the INF file, successfully, run
this from Command.com prompt:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall
132 C:\Fixswen.inf

Assuming that you've stored Fixswen.inf in C:\.

If that does not help, you may need to edit the registry offline (from a
parallel XP installation if available, or using the BartPE boot CD). Then
run Trend Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating
keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions at:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

> Tried your suggestion. An error message came up saying "application
> failed
> to initialize properly" and it would not proceed any further.
> --
> Regards
> rbc
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Click Start, Run and type Command.com
>> Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"
>>
>> Fix the .exe association here:
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
>> Set the (default) to exefile
>>
>> Goto:
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
>> Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*
>>
>> "%1" %*

Hi Ramesh,

FWIW, all feedback and my own tests indicate that .inf files can be
launched despite the .exe association being corrupt, which is why I
recommend Fixswen.inf

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Use this INF file to reset the .exe / .com / .reg associations:
>http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf
>Link - Courtesy of Alan Edwards.
>
>Right-click the INF file and choose Install (Download from another system if
>needed, and transfer to the subject computer). Note that the
>"DefaultInstall" section of the INF file is launched by Rundll32.exe (again,
>and .exe file). If you're unable to Install the INF file, successfully, run
>this from Command.com prompt:
>
>C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall
>132 C:\Fixswen.inf
>
>Assuming that you've stored Fixswen.inf in C:\.
>
>If that does not help, you may need to edit the registry offline (from a
>parallel XP installation if available, or using the BartPE boot CD). Then
>run Trend Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating
>keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions at:
>
>http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting. As you say "That saved me a test" ;-)

--

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> FWIW, all feedback and my own tests indicate that .inf files can be
> launched despite the .exe association being corrupt, which is why I
> recommend Fixswen.inf
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Use this INF file to reset the .exe / .com / .reg associations:
>>http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf
>>Link - Courtesy of Alan Edwards.
>>
>>Right-click the INF file and choose Install (Download from another system
>>if
>>needed, and transfer to the subject computer). Note that the
>>"DefaultInstall" section of the INF file is launched by Rundll32.exe
>>(again,
>>and .exe file). If you're unable to Install the INF file, successfully,
>>run
>>this from Command.com prompt:
>>
>>C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
>>DefaultInstall
>>132 C:\Fixswen.inf
>>
>>Assuming that you've stored Fixswen.inf in C:\.
>>
>>If that does not help, you may need to edit the registry offline (from a
>>parallel XP installation if available, or using the BartPE boot CD). Then
>>run Trend Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating
>>keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions at:
>>
>>http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
>>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

First let me say thanks for your efforts. But I am still having problems.
None of the commands you gave me will work in the DOS window at accessed by
using command.com (I still have to manually associate the command but it gets
there.)
Since my last post, I have also purchased and run Pc OnPoint. It also had
problems with "fixing problems" but identified 114 file associations problems
and 250 registry problems (AVG Anti - Virus scan reveals no viruses). After
manually associating Regedt.exe with Regedit Tool several times in response
to an error message - I finally got PC OnPoint to fix all problems. But I am
left with the PC OnPoint icon on all my software programs. Click on any of
these results in Pc OnPoint bringing up it scan now window.
Should I try running the original solution posted to Bill (see my first post)?
Should I reinstall Windows XP Home Ed over what I have now, including
Service Pack 2 and all the Windows Update files?

--
Regards
rbc

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for posting. As you say "That saved me a test" ;-)
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Ramesh,
> >
> > FWIW, all feedback and my own tests indicate that .inf files can be
> > launched despite the .exe association being corrupt, which is why I
> > recommend Fixswen.inf
> >
> > ...Alan
> >
> > --
> > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> > http://dts-l.org/index.html
> >
> > In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Use this INF file to reset the .exe / .com / .reg associations:
> >>http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf
> >>Link - Courtesy of Alan Edwards.
> >>
> >>Right-click the INF file and choose Install (Download from another system
> >>if
> >>needed, and transfer to the subject computer). Note that the
> >>"DefaultInstall" section of the INF file is launched by Rundll32.exe
> >>(again,
> >>and .exe file). If you're unable to Install the INF file, successfully,
> >>run
> >>this from Command.com prompt:
> >>
> >>C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
> >>DefaultInstall
> >>132 C:\Fixswen.inf
> >>
> >>Assuming that you've stored Fixswen.inf in C:\.
> >>
> >>If that does not help, you may need to edit the registry offline (from a
> >>parallel XP installation if available, or using the BartPE boot CD). Then
> >>run Trend Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating
> >>keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions at:
> >>
> >>http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
> >>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

rbc,

>> problems with "fixing problems" but identified 114 file associations

I'm wondering how the application could run, as the .exe association is
damaged?

--

> First let me say thanks for your efforts. But I am still having problems.
> None of the commands you gave me will work in the DOS window at accessed
> by
> using command.com (I still have to manually associate the command but it
> gets
> there.)
> Since my last post, I have also purchased and run Pc OnPoint. It also had
> problems with "fixing problems" but identified 114 file associations
> problems
> and 250 registry problems (AVG Anti - Virus scan reveals no viruses).
> After
> manually associating Regedt.exe with Regedit Tool several times in
> response
> to an error message - I finally got PC OnPoint to fix all problems. But I
> am
> left with the PC OnPoint icon on all my software programs. Click on any
> of
> these results in Pc OnPoint bringing up it scan now window.
> Should I try running the original solution posted to Bill (see my first
> post)?
> Should I reinstall Windows XP Home Ed over what I have now, including
> Service Pack 2 and all the Windows Update files?
>
> --
> Regards
> rbc
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> Thanks for posting. As you say "That saved me a test" ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ramesh,
>> >
>> > FWIW, all feedback and my own tests indicate that .inf files can be
>> > launched despite the .exe association being corrupt, which is why I
>> > recommend Fixswen.inf
>> >
>> > ...Alan
>> >
>> > --
>> > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> > http://dts-l.org/index.html

>> I had to browse to command in windows to assoiciate this file, but it
>> worked

Umm.. Missed that part of your original message :(

--

> rbc,
>
>>> problems with "fixing problems" but identified 114 file associations
>
> I'm wondering how the application could run, as the .exe association is
> damaged?
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "rbc" <rbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> First let me say thanks for your efforts. But I am still having
>> problems.
>> None of the commands you gave me will work in the DOS window at accessed
>> by
>> using command.com (I still have to manually associate the command but it
>> gets
>> there.)
>> Since my last post, I have also purchased and run Pc OnPoint. It also
>> had
>> problems with "fixing problems" but identified 114 file associations
>> problems
>> and 250 registry problems (AVG Anti - Virus scan reveals no viruses).
>> After
>> manually associating Regedt.exe with Regedit Tool several times in
>> response
>> to an error message - I finally got PC OnPoint to fix all problems. But
>> I am
>> left with the PC OnPoint icon on all my software programs. Click on any
>> of
>> these results in Pc OnPoint bringing up it scan now window.
>> Should I try running the original solution posted to Bill (see my first
>> post)?
>> Should I reinstall Windows XP Home Ed over what I have now, including
>> Service Pack 2 and all the Windows Update files?
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> rbc
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for posting. As you say "That saved me a test" ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>
>>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>>

>>> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Well it looks like I've come to the end of the road. I did a Boot in "Safe
with Command Prompt" and got into the Registry as described in your earlier
post (to Bill); but as I navigated to each area you advised I found the
setting was as you indicated, i.e. value for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe was
"exefile"; \exefile\shell\open\command was set to "%1" %*.
I tried David Lipman's Generic Trojan/Adware Removal Procedure at
http://claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html and after runnng Ad-Aware I
was then able to delete a Registry Critical Problem (it was too fast - but I
did see the exefile and the "%1" %* as part of the problem (?).
Bottom line is nothing works.
I can get my programs to run by going into C:\Programs and finding the
application file, and double clicking on them. The programs will run.
I've run out of ideas.
To top it off now Ad-Aware "freezes" at C;\Windows\System32\dillcache and
won't complete the scan.
Thanks for all your attempts at help - I think I will have to take the PC
into a Professional.
--
Regards
rbc