Could I safely delete this folder ?

I have a huge folder c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 with 2000+ files.
I think it was created by WinXP SP2. Could i safely delete it? tahnk you!!

Stephen Lo
Vancouver, BC., CA.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

losl(removethis) wrote:

> I have a huge folder c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 with 2000+ files.
> I think it was created by WinXP SP2. Could i safely delete it? tahnk you!!

It's needed for sfc, so don't get rid of it. It can be copied to CD
though and the registry changed to point to the new location. This
works ok if you have two CD drives - the XP installation CD would go in
one and the CD with these servicepackfiles would go in another.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
Edit the ServicePackSourcePath to reflect the CD drive and path to these
files for example : Z:\ServicePackFiles

If only one CD drive then leave it as is.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Yes, but if you need it later, you may be forced to reinstall the Service
Pack instead of a quick fix:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
So you probably do not want to delete them.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"losl(removethis)" <"losl(removethis)"@canada.com> wrote in message

> I have a huge folder c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 with 2000+ files.
> I think it was created by WinXP SP2. Could i safely delete it? tahnk you!!
>
> --
> ********************************************************************************************************
> Stephen Lo
> Vancouver, BC., CA.

Hi Stephen,

As others have mentioned, this contains the backup of files replaced by the
service pack, and will be needed if an existing file becomes corrupt, or you
run sfc. You might set folder options to see hidden and system files if you
are concerned about drive space, as the $NtUninstall....$ folders that exist
in %windir% may still exist and can be safely deleted.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone