Sign in with
Your question

picking out a gaming lcd

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 25, 2006 4:46:10 PM

I am building a new system, mainly for gaming but also for watching some dvds. I am looking for a new monitor, wanted to go lcd for space issues etc. Looking at 2 now :
viewsonic vx922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
samsung 931c
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

the viewsonic was reviewed as great for gaming by tom's hardware and i have heard good things about the new samsung. Go with one of these or something else? Opions anyone?

More about : picking gaming lcd

a b 4 Gaming
September 27, 2006 12:53:41 AM

A few notes:
The Viewsonic does not have any type of overdrive feature, while the Samsung does; thus the Samsung would probaby be better at fast motion.
Viewsonic calls their overdrive: clearmotiv
Samsung calls their overdrive: magicspeed
In short, just because it says it has a certain response doesn't meant it really does in useage. The specs for how to define response time are not indicative of true response times, and even if the manufacturer stated their response times correctly according to the specs, it only represents how fast the monitor is at changing from one shade to another shade. It does not tell you how fast it is at changing to the other 255 shades. These can vary wildly thus resulting in terrible real-world response times even though the box says it has a really low response time. However, with overdrive, the response times for all the various shades are brought more in line and do not vary as much, thus giving you a more reasonable response time all across the board.

Also note that both monitors have 16.2 million colors, inferring that it is a 6-bit panel, which is significanly fewer colors than an 8-bit panel. As someone on this anandtech thread noted, it will still have to rely on dithering to reproduce an amount of colors close to 8-bit panels. However, the colors might not be very noticeable for what you are doing. You might consider going to the store and cmparing the colors of a 16.2 and 16.7 panel (although 16.7 is not always a guarantee that is uses the higher quality 8-bit). If, after looking at a lot of high quality color pictures shows not difference, then don't worry about this aspect of the LCD monitor.
October 3, 2006 6:50:41 AM

I have the VX922 and I play BF2 on HIGH. This LCD has NO ghosting, and is a great buy. I recommend getting it through CompUSA, as you can take it back if you have a problem with it and you dont have to worry about the mail banging it up (I speak from exp)...
a b 4 Gaming
October 3, 2006 7:55:11 PM

Quote:
I have the VX922 and I play BF2 on HIGH. This LCD has NO ghosting, and is a great buy. I recommend getting it through CompUSA, as you can take it back if you have a problem with it and you dont have to worry about the mail banging it up (I speak from exp)...

Indeed. The tests done by tomshardware confirm this: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_...
Notice that it is consitently below 10ms. The VP191b didn't do too bad either.
!