Magic Items that aren't.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Greetings.

I am designing some characters for a GURPS Supers game (4th Ed.). I
have one character who has become a fantasy-style Paladin, complete with
armor and weapons.

The armor is easy (DR). The sword is an Innate Attack with the
appropriate modifiers. His ring of regen is just the Regen Power.

Now, I want to create a magic shield and an amulet of Missile
Deflection. How would I represent those as super-powers in a no-mana world?

The items are just special effects, so there is no need to worry
about any "Focus" (Hero System terminology) type Limitations. These are
just manifestations of his super-power, not really magic items.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur Samuels wrote:

> Now, I want to create a magic shield and an amulet of Missile
> Deflection. How would I represent those as super-powers in a no-mana
> world?

What does the shield do? If all it does is allow him to block attacks
easier, take multiple levels of Enhanced Defenses (Enhanced Block) pg
B51. If it helps with all active defenses, take one or more levels of
the other Enhanced Defenses, as well. Now if the shield has other
powers (heals the injured, cures the sick, blasts evil undead, etc. I
can't really help until I know what it is supposed to do).

Missile deflection could be represented as multiple levels of Enhanced
Defenses (Enhanced Dodge, only vs. ranged attacks -20%).

Good luck,

Luke

Arthur Samuels <arthurs1956NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<L9udnXJik_lnlAHcRVn-tw@comcast.com>...
> Greetings.
>
> I am designing some characters for a GURPS Supers game (4th Ed.). I
> have one character who has become a fantasy-style Paladin, complete with
> armor and weapons.
>
> The armor is easy (DR). The sword is an Innate Attack with the
> appropriate modifiers. His ring of regen is just the Regen Power.
>
> Now, I want to create a magic shield and an amulet of Missile
> Deflection. How would I represent those as super-powers in a no-mana world?
>
> The items are just special effects, so there is no need to worry
> about any "Focus" (Hero System terminology) type Limitations. These are
> just manifestations of his super-power, not really magic items.
>
> Thanks in advance.

For the shield try a variant form of Enhanced Parry that works of
shield skill instead of weapon skill linked to DR that works in only
one direction, posibly linked to Enhanced Dodge too, to reflect that a
shield helps all defenses. For the missile deflection try Enhanced
Dodge linked to Danger Sense with a accesiblity limitation on both
that they only work vs ranged weapons. Alternatively the missile
deflection could be Enhanced Dodge with a acesibility limitation (only
vs missiles) and a cosmic enhancement so you don't have to know the
atack is coming.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:33:28 -0700, Arthur Samuels
<arthurs1956NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
> Now, I want to create a magic shield and an amulet of Missile
>Deflection. How would I represent those as super-powers in a no-mana world?

I agree with the previous poster. I'd do something like this:

* Shield: Enhanced Block [Can Be Stolen -30%] +3 for a total of 11CP
* Amulet: Enhanced Dodge [Can Be Stolen -30%, Accessibility--Ranged
Only -20%] +3 for a total of 23CP

Least, if I understand the GURPS 4E stuff. :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:33:28 -0700, Arthur Samuels
<arthurs1956NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am designing some characters for a GURPS Supers game (4th Ed.). I
>have one character who has become a fantasy-style Paladin, complete with
>armor and weapons.
>
> The armor is easy (DR). The sword is an Innate Attack with the
>appropriate modifiers. His ring of regen is just the Regen Power.

What makes him think his ring gives him the regeneration power if he
can't remove it?

> Now, I want to create a magic shield and an amulet of Missile
>Deflection. How would I represent those as super-powers in a no-mana world?

Damage Resistance only versus missiles.

New Advantage: Shield

5 points per level up to 4

Each level buys one point of defense bonus. The Shield advantage acts
just like a real shield, except that it can't be taken away and can be
switched on or off as required.

> The items are just special effects, so there is no need to worry
>about any "Focus" (Hero System terminology) type Limitations. These are
>just manifestations of his super-power, not really magic items.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

>> The armor is easy (DR). The sword is an Innate Attack with the
>>appropriate modifiers. His ring of regen is just the Regen Power.

> What makes him think his ring gives him the regeneration power if he
> can't remove it?

It doesn't. It's just that his super-power is the ability to become
his Paladin character, complete with gear. Since his character has a
Ring of Regen, the super he transforms into has Regen. It's "really" his
super-powers.
The ring is just a special effect.

Arthur Samuels <arthurs1956NOSPAM@comcast.net> writes:

>>> The armor is easy (DR). The sword is an Innate Attack with the
>>>appropriate modifiers. His ring of regen is just the Regen Power.

>> What makes him think his ring gives him the regeneration power if he
>> can't remove it?

> It doesn't. It's just that his super-power is the ability to become
>his Paladin character, complete with gear. Since his character has a
>Ring of Regen, the super he transforms into has Regen. It's "really" his
>super-powers.
> The ring is just a special effect.

In that case, why not just treat the magic-like effects as magic,
but with the special effect "not really magical, just acts like it"?

--
In his letter to the Corinthians, Paul instructed Joe Bay
send ten copies to the Thessalonians and the Stanford University

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:45:07 +0000 (UTC), jmbay@Stanford.EDU (Joseph
Michael Bay) wrote:

>>> What makes him think his ring gives him the regeneration power if he
>>> can't remove it?
>
>> It doesn't. It's just that his super-power is the ability to become
>>his Paladin character, complete with gear. Since his character has a
>>Ring of Regen, the super he transforms into has Regen. It's "really" his
>>super-powers.
>> The ring is just a special effect.
>
>In that case, why not just treat the magic-like effects as magic,
>but with the special effect "not really magical, just acts like it"?

Because magic items are paid for with money and because they can be
taken away and he doesn't want that.

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) writes:

>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:45:07 +0000 (UTC), jmbay@Stanford.EDU (Joseph
>Michael Bay) wrote:

>>> It doesn't. It's just that his super-power is the ability to become
>>>his Paladin character, complete with gear. Since his character has a
>>>Ring of Regen, the super he transforms into has Regen. It's "really" his
>>>super-powers.
>>> The ring is just a special effect.

>>In that case, why not just treat the magic-like effects as magic,
>>but with the special effect "not really magical, just acts like it"?

>Because magic items are paid for with money and because they can be
>taken away and he doesn't want that.

Well, magic items *can* be paid for with points. But I was thinking
more like Knacks. Because if the items can't be taken away, they've
gotta be Advantages, basically, at least game-mechanics-wise. Plus
it's "really" his super powers and not the items, which are just
special effects.

So if there's an Advantage that corresponds to what you want, take
that. Otherwise a Knack. Missile Shield plus enough Power enhancement
to make it fatigue-free to maintain should be under 40 points, I think.
The "fact" that it's "not magic" is irrelevant.