SATA drive not detected in new PC XP install

buckmoy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hiya - any time / help is much appreciated.

Building new PC (my first build). Nearly there (or so I thought)

I boot with XP from CD-ROM - it fettles about for a while and then tells me it can't install because I have no hard drive.

Also BIOS said no IDE devices except my DVD/CD as a secondary master.

Thing is - I'm using a S-ATA drive - plugged into SATA 0 on my Gigabyte k8nnxp motherboard.

Any handy hints?

Thanks
Have I missed a step somewhere?

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
your motherboard should have come with a SATA driver diskette. you will HAVE to use this disk. MAKE SURE you have no other hard drives on the IDE channels and set the first boot device to your cdrom. PAY ATTENTION to the bottom of the screen as soon as it turns blue for the installation of xp. you will see it ask you to hit F6 to install third party drivers. you will have to hit F6, don't miss it. later on, in the installation, windows will bring up the driver installation screen where you will have the chance to load the drivers from your floppy. make sure your SATA drive is on the primary channel also. you might have to enable the raid bios for the installation of the drivers so just enable it before you do anything else.

in later windows you won't have to do this since there will be support for SATA, but till then, you have to do this.

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>my sys:
mobo: Abit AN7 @ 442 FSB
CPU: AXPm 2600+ @ 4100+
ram: corsair xms @ 1:1 running 2.5-3-3-6
HDD: two raptors on raid 0