Audigy vs. NF7-S onboard sound

I'm upgrading my computer and part of that involves getting a new motherboard.

I'm currently using an Audigy (original) for sound, but I see that the NF7-S has an onboard sound option.

With the fact that I already have an Audigy (1) in-mind, is it worth the extra bucks to upgrade the NF7-S or should I just keep the Audigy for audio and buy the plain jane NF7?

Adam
8 answers Last reply
More about audigy onboard sound
  1. Hi there, i would definitely advise you to go for the NF7-S, rev 2.x (Soundstorm technology supported-Real time 5.1). I'm using the same motherboard and i'm very happy with it and with the on-board sound , although i'm using the analog output for the 5.1 surround (the ALC650 is not the greatest DAC out there). If you can use it's optical-digital output it would be much much better for sound quality.
    I've also compared the sound (dvd, mp3's and lot's of games) with another system using the Audigy with quadrophonic speakers (large ones) and i was quite satisfied in terms of performance and sound quality with my nf7-s.
    So 1 vote to the NF7-S!

Abit NF7-S rev2.0 (nForce2-Ultra400)-(3.66 Nvidia drivers)
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (12x166)
    1X512MB Kingston RAM PC-3200 (333)
    Club3D Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (3,9 Catalyst)
    Seagate Baracuda IV 60GB 7200Rpm-2MB Cache/Sata Connected Sil3112A-Serillel Adapter
    Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1
  2. Maybe you could sell the Audigy!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  3. ... to me!

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
  4. Ok, so the consensus here is that the Audigy is a poorer quality sound card than the onboard NF7-S sound, correct?
  5. i don't know about audigy1
    but audigy2/2zs are supurior in soundquality
    and also better in the gaming performance and EAX 3D positioning

with Soundstorm, the low end frequency is being cutoff, with better speaker and headphone you will noticing that.
    however, for the value Soundstorm on the mobo is totally awsome!

ASUS A7N8X, xp3200@ 2211Mhz, 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(211mhz), Segate 200g 8mb/120g 8mb/80g 2mb ATA100, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs, 2x UAD-1, TC Powercore, Motu896 firewire
  6. ""with Soundstorm, the <b>low end frequency</b> is being <b>cutoff</b>""

Woooot? that along will put it out of my book fo-eva.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
  7. ah, don't worry
    the cutoff frequency is at 50~60hz
    very low end u see?! haha
    some casual listeners or bad speaker wont notice that

ASUS A7N8X, xp3200@ 2211Mhz, 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(211mhz), Segate 200g 8mb/120g 8mb/80g 2mb ATA100, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs, 2x UAD-1, TC Powercore, Motu896 firewire
  8. My friend with an Audigy2 ZS bought an MSI K7N2-ILSR for a worker, we put it together and connected it to his digital sound system, we were both extremely pleased with the way it sounded compared to his Audigy2 ZS. Of course he was using some crappy Creative speaker set by Cambridge Soundworks that he only paid like $350 for.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Computer Motherboards Components