Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WiFi 'cuts out' when not being used?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
December 21, 2010 11:15:57 PM

Hey all,
Ever since I bought my HTC Wildfire several months ago Ive had a problem with the wifi so that when the wifi is left on withought being used for more than 5 or 10 mins it will 'cut out'. I can still see the wifi icon in the top bar and it shows that I have signal but when I say, try to open a web page, it will just try and load the page for about 10 seconds then come up with an error message saying something like "cant connect".

Any ideas?

More about : wifi cuts

a b Ë Android
December 22, 2010 3:17:27 AM

Take a look around the settings in the phone- perhaps the power of wifi settings. It sounds like there is a timer of sorts on it that cuts it off to save power. If you can find such a setting, disable it or crank up the time.
m
l
December 24, 2010 2:01:27 AM

Ive had a look through the settings but cant seem to find anything about a wifi time out sadly :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a b Ë Android
December 24, 2010 2:46:23 AM

Strange. Perhaps a default setting that cannot be changed. Have you tried giving your carrier a call? Perhaps they know something about it and can help you out.
m
l
December 24, 2010 6:11:53 AM

Hmm I will try emailing HTC directly as its an unlocked phone. Ill keep you posted :) 
m
l
January 7, 2011 10:47:52 AM

One thing to keep in mind about WiFi, it WILL drain your battery faster. I only turn it on when I need it (such as watching HD videos, at home where I can plug my droid in so it's not running on battery power, etc). Otherwise, I just use the 3G network through Verizon.
m
l

Best solution

January 11, 2011 5:48:20 AM

By default the WiFi will disconnect when the screen is asleep for 30-60 seconds. If you have a lot of stuff running on your phone it can slow down the time it takes to reconnect.
I would just download a power shortcut widget that would let me turn WiFi on or off, so whenever I woke my phone up I'd just click it on and off, let it connect then move on with my business.
January 11, 2011 1:14:32 PM

kedakari said:
By default the WiFi will disconnect when the screen is asleep for 30-60 seconds. If you have a lot of stuff running on your phone it can slow down the time it takes to reconnect.
I would just download a power shortcut widget that would let me turn WiFi on or off, so whenever I woke my phone up I'd just click it on and off, let it connect then move on with my business.

I just stuck the Power Control widget on my desktop that allows me with a press to turn on/off the wifi as well as bluetooth, location, synching and set the brightness.

I believe this is a default widget that comes standard with Droids.
m
l
January 18, 2011 10:22:24 AM

Best answer selected by RealityClash.
m
l
!