SaiyaJin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2002
Ok, this drive is getting on my nerves.
I'm trying to install a SATA driver, so I can install windows in my new SATA drive, but the floppy is not working right. Here's the thing, I pulled it from my old system since I don't have another one, and it was working fine on the old one, no problems, but when I use it on the new one its light won't go off, and it doesn't do anything, windows setup keeps asking for a disk as if there was none in there. What could be wrong here?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like you have the floppy drive cable on backwards. Reverse it.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

SaiyaJin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2002
Tried it, but that wasn't it. Now it looks like it doesn't work on the old computer either. Could it have broken just now that I needed it? Oh man... I can't figure it out, I've looked in the bios for any wrong settings a zillion times, and it all seems ok.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are several ways a floppy can be connected wrong. Part of the cable has a few pins flipped. Line the red stripe up with Pin1 on your motherboard, the end with no flipped wires. Then put the end with the flipped wires on your floppy, with the red stripe on the LEFT as you face the rear.

Floppy light staying on is ALWAYS an indication of the cable being connected wrong. If your floppy cable is keyed, the key faces DOWNWARD on the drive.

Floppy drive cables are the reverse of IDE drive cables in orientation: While the key on IDE drives faces up, the key on floppy drive cables faces down; while the red stripe on the cable is on the right as you face the rear of an IDE drive, it's on the left as you face the rear of a floppy drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SaiyaJin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2002
Oh my God!! I'm feeling like a noob again.
Yeah, it was keyed so that's why I thought it was right..., in the mobo there is only one way I can fit it, buy on the drive it could go up or down, and I put it up. Hehe, thanks a lot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, it could be worse: Some Sony drives don't have the bottom key, so people don't believe me when I tell them the key has to face downward!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
hey, crash knows his stuff when it comes to "floppy" part problems. :eek:

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I learned about floppy the hard way.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
[butthead laugh]uhhh huhuhuhu huuuhhuhuhu [/butthead laugh] you said hard.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[bevis laugh]eh, heheh, hehehehehe[/bevis laugh] you said floppy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sh'dup buttmunch. I am Bungholio, I need TP for my bunghole!

dhlucke

Polypheme
<b>Hey Beavis. </b>

What?

<b>Your butt's weird lookin'. </b>

Shut up!

<b>Heh huh, kinda looks like bologne. </b>

Shut up!

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA