is wide screen display good for gaming

eav

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
hearing alot of horor stories about wide screens. i have a budget of about 700 US and wanting a bigger monitor than what i have...viewsonic vx924 19 inch display. was looking at acer's 22 and 24 inch model and also dell's. i saw samsung with a 22 inch widescreen 225BW. i have crossfire so i'll have enough gpu for the size. is it worth it? thank you.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
hearing alot of horor stories about wide screens. i have a budget of about 700 US and wanting a bigger monitor than what i have...viewsonic vx924 19 inch display. was looking at acer's 22 and 24 inch model and also dell's. i saw samsung with a 22 inch widescreen 225BW. i have crossfire so i'll have enough gpu for the size. is it worth it? thank you.

I dont have a big budget, but I wanna know the answer to the same question. Im gonna get a new 19" monitor, I use my computer for games, music and the all the normal stuff.

Should I go widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio- will my new monitor look even smaller than my previous 17" 4:3, and be unsupported and stretched by half the games out there?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005

I dont have a big budget, but I wanna know the answer to the same question. Im gonna get a new 19" monitor, I use my computer for games, music and the all the normal stuff.

Should I go widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio- will my new monitor look even smaller than my previous 17" 4:3, and be unsupported and stretched by half the games out there?

If you get a conventional 19", it will be the same as your 17" ... except bigger. They both have the same resolution.

Widescreen is all the rage today... it's like you've stuck a dagger in your eye if you don't have one. Sheesh! Personally, I don't like widescreen.

Both widescreen and 4:3, UXGA, are risks.... not all games play well in 16x12... not all video cards have enough grunt for it, either. Conventional 5:4, 19", isn't.

stuckingoo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Just make sure the vertical height is good. A 21 inch LCD will be roughly equivalent to a 22 inch (20 viewable) CRT. IMO, LCD widescreens smaller than that are not worth it.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Just make sure the vertical height is good. A 21 inch LCD will be roughly equivalent to a 22 inch (20 viewable) CRT. IMO, LCD widescreens smaller than that are not worth it.

you know what, i think you may be right.

stuckingoo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
BTW, I shoulda reinforced that I was referring to widescreen LCDs in regards to vertical size. That is, my 21 inch Sammy widescreen LCD measures about 11.5 inches up and down while my 22 inch NEC CRT measures 12 inches up and down.