Best file wiping utility?

bcwipe ?

evidence eliminator?

or what?
16 answers Last reply
More about best file wiping utility

    BC Wipe is good. I use it.

    There is also Shred II from PC Magazine that wipes to meet the requirements
    of the D.O.D.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > bcwipe ?
    >
    > evidence eliminator?
    >
    > or what?

    3 pound sledge hammer

    vg4t3mkd8 wrote:

    > bcwipe ?
    >
    > evidence eliminator?
    >
    > or what?

    CyberScrub Privacy suite is another option. Hard to quantify what is
    the best. Best at doing what? Ease of use, options, what?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Cyberscrub is a good utility, that has a number features. Not freeware
    or shareware - has different levels or erasure and some handy context
    menu options. I'm not using the latest version, but the product info page
    is found here:
    http://cyberscrub.com/

    "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > bcwipe ?
    >
    > evidence eliminator?
    >
    > or what?

    try eraser 5.3 freeware. Search google.com for the download.

    Hi

    What kind of files are you wanting to wipe? Some of these 'wiping' programs
    may wipe more than you want to and render your PC unbootable!!

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > bcwipe ?
    >
    > evidence eliminator?
    >
    > or what?

    FDISK..

    > Hi
    >
    > What kind of files are you wanting to wipe? Some of these 'wiping'
    > programs may wipe more than you want to and render your PC unbootable!!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    >> bcwipe ?
    >>
    >> evidence eliminator?
    >>
    >> or what?

    Formatting does not remove data, it just creates a new table
    of data locations. Most data can be recovered and
    formatting can even be undone.

    Google for "DOD wipe" or "CIA hard drive wipe" to find out
    how. But for really secure data destruction and security, a
    3 pound sledge applied to the hard drive and then a very hot
    fire (acetylene torch) will keep anybody from finding your
    poker winnings, secret plans or those pictures/movies.

    Or don't put anything in a computer you don't want anybody
    else to know about, ever.

    some support

    "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | FDISK..
    |

    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > What kind of files are you wanting to wipe? Some of
    these 'wiping'
    | > programs may wipe more than you want to and render your
    PC unbootable!!

    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    | >> bcwipe ?
    | >>
    | >> evidence eliminator?
    | >>
    | >> or what?

    Jim, I was joking ; )

    > Formatting does not remove data, it just creates a new table
    > of data locations. Most data can be recovered and
    > formatting can even be undone.
    >
    > Google for "DOD wipe" or "CIA hard drive wipe" to find out
    > how. But for really secure data destruction and security, a
    > 3 pound sledge applied to the hard drive and then a very hot
    > fire (acetylene torch) will keep anybody from finding your
    > poker winnings, secret plans or those pictures/movies.
    >
    > Or don't put anything in a computer you don't want anybody
    > else to know about, ever.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | FDISK..
    > |

    > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | > Hi
    > | >
    > | > What kind of files are you wanting to wipe? Some of
    > these 'wiping'
    > | > programs may wipe more than you want to and render your
    > PC unbootable!!
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > Will Denny
    > | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > | > Please reply to the News Groups
    > | >

    > | > "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message

    OK, it is early and my sense of humor isn't awake yet.

    | Jim, I was joking ; )

    in message
    | > Formatting does not remove data, it just creates a new
    table
    | > of data locations. Most data can be recovered and
    | > formatting can even be undone.
    | >
    | > Google for "DOD wipe" or "CIA hard drive wipe" to find
    out
    | > how. But for really secure data destruction and
    security, a
    | > 3 pound sledge applied to the hard drive and then a very
    hot
    | > fire (acetylene torch) will keep anybody from finding
    your
    | > poker winnings, secret plans or those pictures/movies.
    | >
    | > Or don't put anything in a computer you don't want
    anybody
    | > else to know about, ever.
    | >

    | > --
    | > some support
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >

    | > "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | FDISK..
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    | > these 'wiping'
    | > PC unbootable!!

    | > |
    | > |

    lol, I know and only Tuesday : (

    > OK, it is early and my sense of humor isn't awake yet.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Jim, I was joking ; )
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > Formatting does not remove data, it just creates a new
    > table
    > | > of data locations. Most data can be recovered and
    > | > formatting can even be undone.
    > | >
    > | > Google for "DOD wipe" or "CIA hard drive wipe" to find
    > out
    > | > how. But for really secure data destruction and
    > security, a
    > | > 3 pound sledge applied to the hard drive and then a very
    > hot
    > | > fire (acetylene torch) will keep anybody from finding
    > your
    > | > poker winnings, secret plans or those pictures/movies.
    > | >
    > | > Or don't put anything in a computer you don't want
    > anybody
    > | > else to know about, ever.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | > some support
    > | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    > | >

    > | > "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > these 'wiping'
    > your
    > | > PC unbootable!!

    > | > |
    > | > |

    Days of the week...
    TGIF
    OGIMA

    | lol, I know and only Tuesday : (

    in message
    | > OK, it is early and my sense of humor isn't awake yet.
    | >

    | > --
    | > some support
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >

    | > "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | Jim, I was joking ; )
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > table

    | > out
    | > security, a
    | > hot
    finding
    | > your
    pictures/movies.

    | > anybody

    overcome.

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    Some of
    render
    | > your

    message

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Are you simply 'wiping' files for your own benefit or are you selling your
    pc and want to wipe the drive?
    Evidence eliminator is particularly good for wiping your system clean.
    For general files i use Eraser http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ I use the
    gutterman erase pattern which erases 35 times. Eraser is a free application
    BTW.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > bcwipe ?
    >
    > evidence eliminator?
    >
    > or what?

    Hopefully the OP won't try Fdisk - otherwise he/she could be in trouble!!!!

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Jim, I was joking ; )
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Formatting does not remove data, it just creates a new table
    >> of data locations. Most data can be recovered and
    >> formatting can even be undone.
    >>
    >> Google for "DOD wipe" or "CIA hard drive wipe" to find out
    >> how. But for really secure data destruction and security, a
    >> 3 pound sledge applied to the hard drive and then a very hot
    >> fire (acetylene torch) will keep anybody from finding your
    >> poker winnings, secret plans or those pictures/movies.
    >>
    >> Or don't put anything in a computer you don't want anybody
    >> else to know about, ever.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> | FDISK..
    >> |

    >> | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> these 'wiping'
    >> PC unbootable!!

    Shouldn't you have had your ; ) with the 'joke'?

    If it was a joke I'll add a hammer. That will stop access.
    Oh- that's no joke- it's fact.

    "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Jim, I was joking ; )
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Formatting does not remove data, it just creates a new table
    >> of data locations. Most data can be recovered and
    >> formatting can even be undone.
    >>
    >> Google for "DOD wipe" or "CIA hard drive wipe" to find out
    >> how. But for really secure data destruction and security, a
    >> 3 pound sledge applied to the hard drive and then a very hot
    >> fire (acetylene torch) will keep anybody from finding your
    >> poker winnings, secret plans or those pictures/movies.
    >>
    >> Or don't put anything in a computer you don't want anybody
    >> else to know about, ever.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> | FDISK..
    >> |

    >> | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> these 'wiping'
    >> PC unbootable!!

    Hi,

    One of the best file erasing utilities is Active@KillDisk.

    It is capable of completely erasing your HDD with NO opportunity to
    restore any data afterwards.

    It supports best secure method erase algorithms such as Guttman's and
    DoD.

    Head on to their site www.killdisk.com for more information and
    download.

    You can also pay attention to another software, ZDelete (
    www.zdelete.com ). This one works like KillDisk but erases SINGLE
    files, folders, local internet activities and wipes drives.

    -Brona

Microsoft Windows XP