[SOLVED] Firewall Preferences Not Saving After OS 10.6.6 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi,

I have two computers that seem to have stopped saving my firewall preferences after upgrading to OSX 10.6.6.

Each time I start each computer, the system asks whether I want to allow or block connections for a variety of programs, including iTunes and several UNIX commands (cupsd, compressord, ftpd, krb5kdc, qmasterd, qmastertaskd,smbd). :fou:

Why aren't these settings being saved upon shutdown?
Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
This is not as uncommon as you would think it should be. This happened a while back with previous versions and updates (i am not experiencing this problem at the moment). To check if it's a code sign problem enter this in terminal codesign -v /Applications/xxxx (where xxxx is the application name you are checking). If all is kosher, you won't see anything at all it will return to prompt. If there is an issue it will actually return text. If this is the case the known remedy is to reinstall the program (no i am not joking :( ). So i would first install the standalone install of the program in question ie. itunes, etc.. There is anecdotal evidence that a permissions repair may work. Go>Utillites>Disk Utilities>Select your drive...

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
This is not as uncommon as you would think it should be. This happened a while back with previous versions and updates (i am not experiencing this problem at the moment). To check if it's a code sign problem enter this in terminal codesign -v /Applications/xxxx (where xxxx is the application name you are checking). If all is kosher, you won't see anything at all it will return to prompt. If there is an issue it will actually return text. If this is the case the known remedy is to reinstall the program (no i am not joking :( ). So i would first install the standalone install of the program in question ie. itunes, etc.. There is anecdotal evidence that a permissions repair may work. Go>Utillites>Disk Utilities>Select your drive then verify permissions then repair persmissions, but I have never used this method successfully myself.

you can also find similiar information on this thread...
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2645811&start=15&tstart=0

I hope this helps...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.