GURPS Architecture

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Has the person who was asking about Architecture seen
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2574/archt.html

(Sorry, the original post fell off my newsreader before I finally managed to
locate this.)

Jefferson
http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/
2 answers Last reply
More about gurps architecture
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    "Jefferson" <Jeff_Wilson63@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Has the person who was asking about Architecture seen
    > http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2574/archt.html
    >
    > (Sorry, the original post fell off my newsreader before I finally managed
    > to locate this.)
    >
    > Jefferson
    > http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

    Thank-you.
    Yes, I've downloaded both it and it's parrent article "GURPS Pre-Industrial
    Architecture". Unfortionately, at least for tl 3, most of the building
    costs barely suffice for paying the workers, never mind the material, and
    the building times were somewhat erratic (mostly too long, but some were
    short) compared to what I've researched historically. Presently, I'm
    combining the rules from both articles with some rules from "Powers and
    Perils", and some old (dare I admit it?) "D&D" castle guidelines. If you
    are interested, I can send you the results when I finish wading through
    things.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    William Dickison wrote:
    > Thank-you.
    > Yes, I've downloaded both it and it's parrent article "GURPS Pre-Industrial
    > Architecture". Unfortionately, at least for tl 3, most of the building
    > costs barely suffice for paying the workers, never mind the material, and

    Maybe you're optimistic about their wages? Unskilled labour,
    before the plague hit (in the late 14th century, IIRC), was
    treated badly and paid worse.

    > the building times were somewhat erratic (mostly too long, but some were
    > short) compared to what I've researched historically. Presently, I'm
    > combining the rules from both articles with some rules from "Powers and
    > Perils", and some old (dare I admit it?) "D&D" castle guidelines. If you
    > are interested, I can send you the results when I finish wading through
    > things.

    I'd like to see your results when you're finished.

    Of particular use would be something simplified, like a
    table listing maybe 50 different building types
    (combinations of sizes and material types and maybe
    construction quality), and then the cost, labour force and
    building time required for each building.

    That way, people can just hop in and look up the
    construction stats for, say, a 250 m2 one-storey stone building.

    Such a simplification will be much less versatile than GURPS
    Architecture, but on the other hand it'll be used a lot more
    often, and used by a *lot* more people.

    Another highly useful thing would be some kind of reference
    for space allotment. I mean I can figure out how big a room
    would be reasonable for various qualities of people, but how
    much stable square meterage does a horse need? Or how big a
    class room do you need to accomidate 20 students and a
    teacher? Or what about simple seating, like in a church or
    auditorium?

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org