Active X Controls show as "2" files in Downloaded Program ..

June 28, 2005 10:18:02 AM

Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder load
as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to unistall
the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:57:23 PM

Hi Discusted,

Are you using a third-party file explorer program?

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> load
> as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> unistall
> the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:57:24 PM

No sir i am not...

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Discusted,
>
> Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> > load
> > as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> > instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> > unistall
> > the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> > FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

June 28, 2005 11:03:01 PM

If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
Start-Run dialog:

regsvr32 occache

--

news:o haBcU%23eFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Discusted,
>
> Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
>> load
>> as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
>> instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
>> unistall
>> the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
>> FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:03:02 PM

Please explain! "Windows Explorer"? Are you asking if when viewing the
controls in the Downloaded Program Foler in Windows Explorer do they appear
as "2" files as well, the answer is yes. I will try your solution.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
> Start-Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 occache
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

> news:o haBcU%23eFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Discusted,
> >
> > Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Windows XP Troubleshooting
> > http://www.winhelponline.com
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >
> > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
> >

> > "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> >> load
> >> as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> >> instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> >> unistall
> >> the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> >> FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:03:02 PM

regsvr32 occache did not resolve the issue.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
> Start-Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 occache
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

> news:o haBcU%23eFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Discusted,
> >
> > Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Windows XP Troubleshooting
> > http://www.winhelponline.com
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >
> > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
> >

> > "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> >> load
> >> as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> >> instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> >> unistall
> >> the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> >> FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:56:20 PM

news:D 035CA6F-D362-41EE-B7B6-B301982F5487@microsoft.com...
> No sir i am not...
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Discusted,
>>
>> Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>>

>> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
>> > load
>> > as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
>> > instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
>> > unistall
>> > the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
>> > FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:56:21 PM

I executed the command and controls still load improperly. Is there another
possible solution because this is making me crazy...

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
> Start-Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 occache
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 035CA6F-D362-41EE-B7B6-B301982F5487@microsoft.com...
> > No sir i am not...
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Discusted,
> >>
> >> Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>
> >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
> >>

> >> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:03:50 AM

>> Are you asking if when viewing the controls in the Downloaded Program
>> Foler in Windows Explorer do they appear as "2" files as well

Yes, that's what I meant.

--

> Please explain! "Windows Explorer"? Are you asking if when viewing the
> controls in the Downloaded Program Foler in Windows Explorer do they
> appear
> as "2" files as well, the answer is yes. I will try your solution.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
>> Start-Run dialog:
>>
>> regsvr32 occache
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o haBcU%23eFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi Discusted,
>> >
>> > Are you using a third-party file explorer program?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> > http://www.winhelponline.com
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>> >
>> > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>> >

>> > "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:23:02 AM

Try rebooting once. The Downloaded Program Files folder is a shell folder,
governed by this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}

See if the above key is present (Click Start/Run and type Regedit.exe to
open the Registry Editor)

Apart from that I have no idea what's causing this. I'd try temporarily
disabling 3rd party browser extensions (in IE Options Advanced tab) and see
if that solves the problem.

--

>I executed the command and controls still load improperly. Is there another
> possible solution because this is making me crazy...
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
>> Start-Run dialog:
>>
>> regsvr32 occache
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>>

>> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 035CA6F-D362-41EE-B7B6-B301982F5487@microsoft.com...
>> > No sir i am not...

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:23:03 AM

The registry
key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000} is
present. I disabled "third party browser extentions" in IE and probelm
remains. Thanks for the suggestions.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Try rebooting once. The Downloaded Program Files folder is a shell folder,
> governed by this registry key:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}
>
> See if the above key is present (Click Start/Run and type Regedit.exe to
> open the Registry Editor)
>
> Apart from that I have no idea what's causing this. I'd try temporarily
> disabling 3rd party browser extensions (in IE Options Advanced tab) and see
> if that solves the problem.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I executed the command and controls still load improperly. Is there another
> > possible solution because this is making me crazy...
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If Windows Explorer exhibits the same behavior, execute this command from
> >> Start-Run dialog:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 occache
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>
> >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
> >>

> >> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 035CA6F-D362-41EE-B7B6-B301982F5487@microsoft.com...

June 29, 2005 1:37:49 AM

The hidden file desktop.ini in the folder may have been deleted

Copy these 2 lines into notepad, and save the file (eg as desktop.txt)

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}

Then move the file to the Downloaded Program File folder
Rename the file to desktop.ini
Then right-click the file > Properties > Check the hidden attribute
Then reenter the folder

Jon

"Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> load
> as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> unistall
> the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:07:03 AM

Thank you for the post Jon however, that is highly unlikely seeing that this
issue occurs after restoring the machine with the Sony OEM system restore
disk. Furthermore, before restoring the machine I performed a low level
format using FJERASE.EXE for fujitsu IDE hard drives. You should know, the
oem system disk restores Widows XP Pro w/SP1. I also tried installing SP2,
and there is no change. Sony has sent a new retore disk as well, with no
change. Any hardware failure suggestions?

"Jon" wrote:

> The hidden file desktop.ini in the folder may have been deleted
>
> Copy these 2 lines into notepad, and save the file (eg as desktop.txt)
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}
>
> Then move the file to the Downloaded Program File folder
> Rename the file to desktop.ini
> Then right-click the file > Properties > Check the hidden attribute
> Then reenter the folder
>
> Jon
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> > load
> > as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> > instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> > unistall
> > the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> > FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:22:01 AM

This is driving me crazy and i can't let it go! I noticed that my Windows
Downloaded Program File Folder is without the Internet Explorer Graphic "E".
All my other machines show the folder having IE's "big blue E" on the folder.
Is there a string i can type to restore the folder itself to restore its
default windows association?

"Jon" wrote:

> The hidden file desktop.ini in the folder may have been deleted
>
> Copy these 2 lines into notepad, and save the file (eg as desktop.txt)
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}
>
> Then move the file to the Downloaded Program File folder
> Rename the file to desktop.ini
> Then right-click the file > Properties > Check the hidden attribute
> Then reenter the folder
>
> Jon
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
> > load
> > as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
> > instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
> > unistall
> > the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
> > FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:41:47 AM

Good post Jon!!. And that's the another reason.

--

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
news:o e%23wCFCfFHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The hidden file desktop.ini in the folder may have been deleted
>
> Copy these 2 lines into notepad, and save the file (eg as desktop.txt)
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}
>
> Then move the file to the Downloaded Program File folder
> Rename the file to desktop.ini
> Then right-click the file > Properties > Check the hidden attribute
> Then reenter the folder
>
> Jon

June 29, 2005 4:32:46 PM

The 2 problems are related.

The problem may lie with the Sony Restore disk and the state to which it
restores your system.

[That particular icon lives inside the file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\occache.dll

and is governed by the registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}\DefaultIcon

The default key there should be of type REG_EXPAND_SZ
and value
%SystemRoot%\System32\occache.dll ]

This problem again could be caused by the absence of the desktop.ini file,
so try the previous suggestion, and tell us if it didn't work.

NB Do your other folders which make use of a desktop.ini display correctly?
eg C:\WINDOWS\Tasks
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
C:\WINDOWS\Offline Web Pages
( C:\WINDOWS\assembly )

Jon

> This is driving me crazy and i can't let it go! I noticed that my Windows
> Downloaded Program File Folder is without the Internet Explorer Graphic
> "E".
> All my other machines show the folder having IE's "big blue E" on the
> folder.
> Is there a string i can type to restore the folder itself to restore its
> default windows association?
>

> "Jon" wrote:
>
>> The hidden file desktop.ini in the folder may have been deleted
>>
>> Copy these 2 lines into notepad, and save the file (eg as desktop.txt)
>>
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}
>>
>> Then move the file to the Downloaded Program File folder
>> Rename the file to desktop.ini
>> Then right-click the file > Properties > Check the hidden attribute
>> Then reenter the folder
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Active X controls loaded to the Windows Downloaded Program File Folder
>> > load
>> > as two individual files. A setup .inf file and a .dll of the same name
>> > instead of the standard multi-colored cubed icon that allows you to
>> > unistall
>> > the file or view dependantcies. Can anyone tell me how this occurs?
>> > FYI...This happens even after a complete recovery of the system.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:32:47 PM

I tried the desktop.ini solution and issue remains. As for the other Windows
folders you mentioned, Tasks and Offline Web Pages are the only two folders
showing graphics.

"Jon" wrote:

> The 2 problems are related.
>
> The problem may lie with the Sony Restore disk and the state to which it
> restores your system.
>
> [That particular icon lives inside the file
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\occache.dll
>
> and is governed by the registry key
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}\DefaultIcon
>
> The default key there should be of type REG_EXPAND_SZ
> and value
> %SystemRoot%\System32\occache.dll ]
>
> This problem again could be caused by the absence of the desktop.ini file,
> so try the previous suggestion, and tell us if it didn't work.
>
> NB Do your other folders which make use of a desktop.ini display correctly?
> eg C:\WINDOWS\Tasks
> C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> C:\WINDOWS\Offline Web Pages
> ( C:\WINDOWS\assembly )
>

> Jon
>
> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is driving me crazy and i can't let it go! I noticed that my Windows
> > Downloaded Program File Folder is without the Internet Explorer Graphic
> > "E".
> > All my other machines show the folder having IE's "big blue E" on the
> > folder.
> > Is there a string i can type to restore the folder itself to restore its
> > default windows association?
> >

> > "Jon" wrote:
> >
> >> The hidden file desktop.ini in the folder may have been deleted
> >>
> >> Copy these 2 lines into notepad, and save the file (eg as desktop.txt)
> >>
> >> [.ShellClassInfo]
> >> CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}
> >>
> >> Then move the file to the Downloaded Program File folder
> >> Rename the file to desktop.ini
> >> Then right-click the file > Properties > Check the hidden attribute
> >> Then reenter the folder
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>

> >> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 29, 2005 9:14:06 PM

The folder may have had its system attribute removed, so try this sequence
of commands

start > run > cmd
cd\windows
attrib +s "Downloaded Program Files"

Reexamine the folder

Jon

>I tried the desktop.ini solution and issue remains. As for the other
>Windows
> folders you mentioned, Tasks and Offline Web Pages are the only two
> folders
> showing graphics.
>
> "Jon" wrote:
>
>> The 2 problems are related.
>>
>> The problem may lie with the Sony Restore disk and the state to which it
>> restores your system.
>>
>> [That particular icon lives inside the file
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\occache.dll
>>
>> and is governed by the registry key
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}\DefaultIcon
>>
>> The default key there should be of type REG_EXPAND_SZ
>> and value
>> %SystemRoot%\System32\occache.dll ]
>>
>> This problem again could be caused by the absence of the desktop.ini
>> file,
>> so try the previous suggestion, and tell us if it didn't work.
>>
>> NB Do your other folders which make use of a desktop.ini display
>> correctly?
>> eg C:\WINDOWS\Tasks
>> C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
>> C:\WINDOWS\Offline Web Pages
>> ( C:\WINDOWS\assembly )
>>

>> Jon
>>
>> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is driving me crazy and i can't let it go! I noticed that my
>> > Windows
>> > Downloaded Program File Folder is without the Internet Explorer Graphic
>> > "E".
>> > All my other machines show the folder having IE's "big blue E" on the
>> > folder.
>> > Is there a string i can type to restore the folder itself to restore
>> > its
>> > default windows association?

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:14:07 PM

to use attrib in XP Pro outside the repair console, you must be in the
directory you want to restore attributes to correct? If not you can tell me
how but that is what i did and the Downloaded Program Files folder did not
change. I even tried using the /S /D switches to no avail.

Also, the registry key for default icon is present and correct.

"Jon" wrote:

> The folder may have had its system attribute removed, so try this sequence
> of commands
>
> start > run > cmd
> cd\windows
> attrib +s "Downloaded Program Files"
>
> Reexamine the folder
>
> Jon
>
> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried the desktop.ini solution and issue remains. As for the other
> >Windows
> > folders you mentioned, Tasks and Offline Web Pages are the only two
> > folders
> > showing graphics.
> >
> > "Jon" wrote:
> >
> >> The 2 problems are related.
> >>
> >> The problem may lie with the Sony Restore disk and the state to which it
> >> restores your system.
> >>
> >> [That particular icon lives inside the file
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\occache.dll
> >>
> >> and is governed by the registry key
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}\DefaultIcon
> >>
> >> The default key there should be of type REG_EXPAND_SZ
> >> and value
> >> %SystemRoot%\System32\occache.dll ]
> >>
> >> This problem again could be caused by the absence of the desktop.ini
> >> file,
> >> so try the previous suggestion, and tell us if it didn't work.
> >>
> >> NB Do your other folders which make use of a desktop.ini display
> >> correctly?
> >> eg C:\WINDOWS\Tasks
> >> C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> >> C:\WINDOWS\Offline Web Pages
> >> ( C:\WINDOWS\assembly )
> >>

> >> Jon
> >>
> >> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 29, 2005 11:31:17 PM

You need to be in the directory that contains the folder, whose attributes
you wish to change, if you just specify the folder name.
In that particular case you needed to be in C:\Windows before exercising
that command

Alternatively exercise this command from any directory

attrib +s "c:\windows\Downloaded Program Files"

There shouldn't be any error message, and if you follow up the command with
this one, to check, you should see an "s" by the folder

attrib "c:\windows\Downloaded Program Files"

(NB You can copy those commands to the clipboard (highlight and press ctrl -
c) , and then click the right mouse button to paste to the command line,
after clicking in the cmd box )

Jon

> to use attrib in XP Pro outside the repair console, you must be in the
> directory you want to restore attributes to correct? If not you can tell
> me
> how but that is what i did and the Downloaded Program Files folder did not
> change. I even tried using the /S /D switches to no avail.
>
> Also, the registry key for default icon is present and correct.
>
> "Jon" wrote:
>
>> The folder may have had its system attribute removed, so try this
>> sequence
>> of commands
>>
>> start > run > cmd
>> cd\windows
>> attrib +s "Downloaded Program Files"
>>
>> Reexamine the folder
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried the desktop.ini solution and issue remains. As for the other
>> >Windows
>> > folders you mentioned, Tasks and Offline Web Pages are the only two
>> > folders
>> > showing graphics.

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:25:02 PM

I tried executing the commands both ways. From the Windows directory and from
Docs & Settings the way you instructed. Both methods produced this message;
"Parameter format not correct -". Changing to the windows directory at the
command prompt to view the entire dirctory I discovered the Downloaded
Program File folder missing from the directory structure. However, The folder
appeared in Windows Explorer. I deleted the folder in explorer and re-created
it and now it appears in both places, but still incorrectly in explorer
without its graphic. What next, besides throwing it off the roof?

"Jon" wrote:

> You need to be in the directory that contains the folder, whose attributes
> you wish to change, if you just specify the folder name.
> In that particular case you needed to be in C:\Windows before exercising
> that command
>
> Alternatively exercise this command from any directory
>
> attrib +s "c:\windows\Downloaded Program Files"
>
> There shouldn't be any error message, and if you follow up the command with
> this one, to check, you should see an "s" by the folder
>
> attrib "c:\windows\Downloaded Program Files"
>
> (NB You can copy those commands to the clipboard (highlight and press ctrl -
> c) , and then click the right mouse button to paste to the command line,
> after clicking in the cmd box )
>
> Jon
>

> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > to use attrib in XP Pro outside the repair console, you must be in the
> > directory you want to restore attributes to correct? If not you can tell
> > me
> > how but that is what i did and the Downloaded Program Files folder did not
> > change. I even tried using the /S /D switches to no avail.
> >
> > Also, the registry key for default icon is present and correct.
> >
> > "Jon" wrote:
> >
> >> The folder may have had its system attribute removed, so try this
> >> sequence
> >> of commands
> >>
> >> start > run > cmd
> >> cd\windows
> >> attrib +s "Downloaded Program Files"
> >>
> >> Reexamine the folder
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>
> >> "Discusted" <Discusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 30, 2005 11:28:18 PM

You need to include the quotation marks around the "c:\windows\Downloaded
Program Files" , otherwise that error message will appear. The command must
be exactly as it was given (best to paste it in)

If you deleted and recreated the folder, then you will need to follow the
previous steps concerning the desktop.ini file, since the folder will now be
empty

To view the folder from c:\windows, if the system attribute is set, you need
to type
dir /as
rather than
dir

[type dir /? at a command prompt for the full set of options]

The fact that you couldn't view the directory from the Windows directory
(presumably with a dir command), is a bit disconcerting though , since it
suggests that the system attribute was already set.

I'm rapidly running out of ideas here, but you may wish to try the Disk
Cleanup tool too, since it contains an option to clean up that folder and so
may also possibly help.
[Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup ]

Other than that, perhaps one of your installed programs is interfering with
the folder. So run through your installed programs to consider which might
do that ( and also perhaps a virus / spyware scan).

Otherwise the roof beckons.

Jon

!