Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HDD and SSD Caching

Last response: in Windows 7
August 27, 2012 6:23:49 PM

I built a pc and at the time it only had a 1tb hard drive in it. I recently bought an SSD and I was wondering if i should use Intel SRT or install the OS on the SSD and keep the existing OS on the HDD.

More about : hdd ssd caching

a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2012 7:40:28 PM

How big is the SSD? If it's big enough to hold your OS and your most important apps or games, re-install everything to it and use the old drive as data. If it's under 60 GB, use SRT.
August 27, 2012 7:49:46 PM

What WyomingKnott said.

If it's bigger than 60GB you could also set it up so that your spinning drive is SRT'd using 60GB of the SSD and then also have a section of the SSD for a few of the application that you are certain you always want to load quickly.

I personally found very little tangible difference between my boots times and game load times between my 60GB SSD being used as a boot drive with a few games on it, and being used as SRT. I use SRT now so that things I use often are always fast and it will automagically change with my usage habits. Also, I don't have to manage anything with different drives or manually moving data around. If I need the SSD for something specific some day you can just turn SRT off, use the SSD for a bit, and turn SRT back on when you're done . . . it will go back to caching all the stuff you use again as you use it.

Related resources
August 27, 2012 8:02:26 PM

I am giong to get a 240gb ssd. Do I need to reactivate windows 7 or delete the OS on the HDD?
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2012 8:49:46 PM

NO Dought in my Mind - Use it as an OS + program drive. If you find that You do Not need the full 240 gig, then partition it and create a "D" drive for a "working" partition and as you work on a given photo, or video file just copy it here. With that size of SSD I do not think SRT would benifit you that much.

As to Installation:
1) Check to see if Your HDD was set to AHCI when you installed windows. If it was great, if it was set to IDE mode change to aqhci. Must first make a registry Change which is simple. reboot, chang bios to ahci. walla done.
2) Disconnect HDD, Connect SSD, power on go to Bios and verify AHCI is enabled. and install your windows 7 on SSD.
3.) when Done, power down, reconnect HSS, power on go to Bios and set Boot order to SSD.

For the beauty of this, You can NOW daul boot to either drive. Simply hit the key that brings up boot Menu (ie on My gigabye MB it is F12, On my Asrock it is F11. NOTE this does NOT change Bios Boot priority.

When Happy, no problems (ie after 2 -> 4 weeks) then you can blow win 7 off of the HDD.

ENJOY!!!

August 30, 2012 5:12:31 AM

Do I need to activate Windows on both?
And how do you change the HDD to AHCI
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2012 12:40:16 PM

IDE -> AHCI, Two choices, "Fix it for me" or "Let me fix it"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

On Activation.
HDD should already be activated, and Yes you will need to reactivat windows on SSD - Should NO be a problem.
August 30, 2012 4:26:36 PM

Do I need to install all the drivers that were on my hdd. And how do I take off the is without loosing imformation
August 30, 2012 4:56:59 PM

I enter the code in windows 7 and it still says invalid and my dad says I still need to activate it.
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2012 6:32:12 PM

Windows will NOT activate if it is saying Invalid after entering the key.

What Copy of Windows did you use to Install the operating system on the HDD??
August 31, 2012 6:07:20 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
August 31, 2012 6:08:27 PM

How do I check if the hard drive is in IDE or AHCI on an Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe Motherboard?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2012 6:25:04 PM

Look to see what the driver is, if pcide then its IDE.
Myself I just run as ssd and look at the upper left.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit is the version you own a key for and that is what is installed on HDD, Then that is what you need to install on SSD, Unless your tyring to set up RST, Which you do NOT want to do.

a c 371 $ Windows 7
September 23, 2012 1:43:37 PM

Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
September 23, 2012 1:44:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!