vsmon.exe running PC to a halt

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001

I, thankfully, don't have too many problems with my PC (running HomeXP) but
suddenly today after a period of time everything seems to freeze up. When I
check the Task Manager at that point it shows vsmon.exe taking up almost
100% of the CPU allocation. After yet another reboot, I did a Google search
which showed that this appears to be a common problem and seems to be linked
to ZoneAlarm . I've used ZoneAlarm Pro for the last 2 years, updating
regularly, and it hasn't been a problem (apart from it always being the last
app available when booting up). I also do regular Virus checks (updated
daily) and Spyware checks using 3 different apps. All were done 2 days ago.

There doesn't seem to be a real answer to the problem wherever I've looked
but maybe I'm missing something. Some cases say that the problem just
disappears.

Very frustrating and I would be grateful if someone has any ideas. I
apologise if this has been answered before but everywhere I've looked gives
a vague "yes that has happened to me" but no answer to the problem.

Thanks
--
Pete
http://www.pw9.co.uk

map

From the Zone Alarm forums,I gave you a link to this yesterday and it took
me all of 30 seconds to find this!

5) ZA (vsmon) is using all my resources! First make sure that you do not
have MailSafe enabled and also have your antivirus scanning email
attachments. They may be conflicting. Some other causes will be resolved in
the next release of the product

--
Mike Pawlak

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

PeteB wrote:

> I, thankfully, don't have too many problems with my PC (running HomeXP) but
> suddenly today after a period of time everything seems to freeze up. When I
> check the Task Manager at that point it shows vsmon.exe taking up almost
> 100% of the CPU allocation. After yet another reboot, I did a Google search
> which showed that this appears to be a common problem and seems to be linked
> to ZoneAlarm . I've used ZoneAlarm Pro for the last 2 years, updating
> regularly, and it hasn't been a problem (apart from it always being the last
> app available when booting up). I also do regular Virus checks (updated
> daily) and Spyware checks using 3 different apps. All were done 2 days ago.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a real answer to the problem wherever I've looked
> but maybe I'm missing something. Some cases say that the problem just
> disappears.
>
> Very frustrating and I would be grateful if someone has any ideas. I
> apologise if this has been answered before but everywhere I've looked gives
> a vague "yes that has happened to me" but no answer to the problem.
>
> Thanks

Try to uninstall / reinstall ZA.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for the info, MAP! You saved my a trip to the forums and and email
to support. I am grateful and will spread the word.
Heirloom, old and love answers

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> From the Zone Alarm forums,I gave you a link to this yesterday and it took
> me all of 30 seconds to find this!
>

> 5) ZA (vsmon) is using all my resources! First make sure that you do not
> have MailSafe enabled and also have your antivirus scanning email
> attachments. They may be conflicting. Some other causes will be resolved
> in
> the next release of the product
>

> PeteB wrote:
>> I, thankfully, don't have too many problems with my PC (running
>> HomeXP) but suddenly today after a period of time everything seems to
>> freeze up. When I check the Task Manager at that point it shows
>> vsmon.exe taking up almost 100% of the CPU allocation. After yet
>> another reboot, I did a Google search which showed that this appears
>> to be a common problem and seems to be linked to ZoneAlarm . I've
>> used ZoneAlarm Pro for the last 2 years, updating regularly, and it
>> hasn't been a problem (apart from it always being the last app
>> available when booting up). I also do regular Virus checks (updated
>> daily) and Spyware checks using 3 different apps. All were done 2
>> days ago.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be a real answer to the problem wherever I've
>> looked but maybe I'm missing something. Some cases say that the
>> problem just disappears.
>>
>> Very frustrating and I would be grateful if someone has any ideas. I
>> apologise if this has been answered before but everywhere I've looked
>> gives a vague "yes that has happened to me" but no answer to the
>> problem.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
--
Pete
http://www.pw9.co.uk

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> From the Zone Alarm forums,I gave you a link to this yesterday and it took
> me all of 30 seconds to find this!
>

> 5) ZA (vsmon) is using all my resources! First make sure that you do not
> have MailSafe enabled and also have your antivirus scanning email
> attachments. They may be conflicting. Some other causes will be resolved
> in
> the next release of the product
>

> PeteB wrote:
>> I, thankfully, don't have too many problems with my PC (running
>> HomeXP) but suddenly today after a period of time everything seems to
>> freeze up. When I check the Task Manager at that point it shows
>> vsmon.exe taking up almost 100% of the CPU allocation. After yet
>> another reboot, I did a Google search which showed that this appears
>> to be a common problem and seems to be linked to ZoneAlarm . I've
>> used ZoneAlarm Pro for the last 2 years, updating regularly, and it
>> hasn't been a problem (apart from it always being the last app
>> available when booting up). I also do regular Virus checks (updated
>> daily) and Spyware checks using 3 different apps. All were done 2
>> days ago.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be a real answer to the problem wherever I've
>> looked but maybe I'm missing something. Some cases say that the
>> problem just disappears.
>>
>> Very frustrating and I would be grateful if someone has any ideas. I
>> apologise if this has been answered before but everywhere I've looked
>> gives a vague "yes that has happened to me" but no answer to the
>> problem.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

I had to uninstall Logitech Desktop Messenger from all the users (Add/Remove
Programs) to get vsmon.exe from overloading the computer and making it sound
like the machine would explode.

PeteB,

Look in your services and see if you have the service snmp.exe running. Try
turning it off while ZAP is runnig and see if ZAP still gives you problems.
It's what I had to do.

-Winux P.

"PeteB" <pete@pw9SPAMOFF.co.uk> wrote in message
> I, thankfully, don't have too many problems with my PC (running HomeXP)
> but suddenly today after a period of time everything seems to freeze up.
> When I check the Task Manager at that point it shows vsmon.exe taking up
> almost 100% of the CPU allocation. After yet another reboot, I did a
> Google search which showed that this appears to be a common problem and
> seems to be linked to ZoneAlarm . I've used ZoneAlarm Pro for the last 2
> years, updating regularly, and it hasn't been a problem (apart from it
> always being the last app available when booting up). I also do regular
> Virus checks (updated daily) and Spyware checks using 3 different apps.
> All were done 2 days ago.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a real answer to the problem wherever I've looked
> but maybe I'm missing something. Some cases say that the problem just
> disappears.
>
> Very frustrating and I would be grateful if someone has any ideas. I
> apologise if this has been answered before but everywhere I've looked
> gives a vague "yes that has happened to me" but no answer to the problem.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Pete
> http://www.pw9.co.uk

The process called snmptrap.exe is used by Windows applications to trap snmp
messages when communicating with network devices using SNMP (Simple Network
Management Protocol). SNMP is used to perform remote administration of
network hardware such as Routers and Hubs. Snmp.exe is required for your
system to remain stable, you should not terminate this process.>>>>>>>(taken
from the Google search)

Whatever works for you, however, everything I found with a Google search
regarding snmp.exe says that it should NOT be terminated. Secondary
note.....I have not experienced the vsmon issue since using PeteB's advice
re: the Email Protection portion of ZAPro.
Heirloom, old and still working