solar system creation

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'm looking for some tables for creating a solar system. I have some
programs to do it but each one seems to have a flaw or two I don't like.
Don't get me wrong there are some awesome proggies out there but none are
tickling my fancy.

I'm looking for a quick and dirty tables listing that I can either sit
there and role dice to come up with or fiddle around with it in an Excel
Spreadsheet.

The tables don't really need to be GURPS compatible (I think just about
any solar system or sector generator are basically generic) but I am using
GURPS to GM the game.

Thanks in advance!

Running Wolf

Running Wolf wrote:

> I'm looking for some tables for creating a solar system. I have some
> programs to do it but each one seems to have a flaw or two I don't like.
> Don't get me wrong there are some awesome proggies out there but none are
> tickling my fancy.
>
> I'm looking for a quick and dirty tables listing that I can either sit
> there and role dice to come up with or fiddle around with it in an Excel
> Spreadsheet.
>
> The tables don't really need to be GURPS compatible (I think just about
> any solar system or sector generator are basically generic) but I am using
> GURPS to GM the game.

Gurps Traveler: First In and Gurps Space (at least the first edition I
have) both have tables like that.

There was an old game, Starfire: New Empires that had a pretty good
solar system generation set of tables. No relation to reality, but
useful for the game (which involed colonization - so having habitable
planets was useful).

But if you're not that interested in realism, and none of the programs
you have don't quite quite fit - write your own. Unless you want to
store the information in databases, it shouldn't be too hard to create a
program that just spews out systems. (I did it years ago on a CDC
machine. My PC is probably more powerful now-a-days.)

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Running Wolf

Tom A.
"The room we are about to enter isn't really inside the planet - it's a
track of hyperspace superimposed here. It may be a little disturbing at
first. It gives me the willies." - Slartibartfast, Magrathian
coastline designer; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, (from memory)

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 2004-12-16, Tom A. <meteoricshipyards@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Running Wolf wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some tables for creating a solar system. I have some
>
> Gurps Traveler: First In and Gurps Space (at least the first edition I
> have) both have tables like that.
>
> There was an old game, Starfire: New Empires that had a pretty good
> solar system generation set of tables. No relation to reality, but
> useful for the game (which involed colonization - so having habitable
> planets was useful).

Table^wSpaceMaster , from ICE also had a set of similiar tables. Again
I'm not sure how 'realisitic' they actually are.
Although they had a nice 'scientific' feel, getting you to roll along
the Hertzspring-Russell (name from memory) diagram and all.

TTFN
--
Roger. Home| http://www.sandman.uklinux.net/
Master of Peng Shui. (Ancient oriental art of Penguin Arranging)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 23 Dec 2004 20:03:18 GMT, roger <roger@computer-surgery.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 2004-12-16, Tom A. <meteoricshipyards@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Running Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for some tables for creating a solar system. I have some
>>
>> Gurps Traveler: First In and Gurps Space (at least the first edition I
>> have) both have tables like that.
>>
>> There was an old game, Starfire: New Empires that had a pretty good
>> solar system generation set of tables. No relation to reality, but
>> useful for the game (which involed colonization - so having habitable
>> planets was useful).
>
>Table^wSpaceMaster , from ICE also had a set of similiar tables. Again
>I'm not sure how 'realisitic' they actually are.
>Although they had a nice 'scientific' feel, getting you to roll along
>the Hertzspring-Russell (name from memory) diagram and all.
>
>TTFN
>--
>Roger. Home| http://www.sandman.uklinux.net/
>Master of Peng Shui. (Ancient oriental art of Penguin Arranging)
>Work|Independent Sys Consultant | http://www.computer-surgery.co.uk/
>So what are the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of 'The Matrix'? --anon

there was an old traveller supplement called grand survey which dealt
with nothing more than creating systems. there was an earlier book
whose name escapes me which had a simpler set of rules as well.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be lead to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

The Earlier book was Book 6: Scouts (I'm so chuffed I managed to find
the books 0-8 compilation from Far Future Enterprises :D)

I'd post them but I dont know a) what level of detail you want and b)
how well-versed you are in Traveller (the original traveller)