any problems with samsung ddr400 in dc on abit is7

alexdg

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
I'm considering getting 4x512mb samsung ddr400 for my workstation. I wonder if anyone had or heard of any troubles with that cheaper ram on Abit IS7?

thnx!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IS7 seems to have about the best RAM compatability of the 865/875 chipset boards, but some (the lowest quality) RAM still has problems running in dual channel mode on them, and using 2 pairs makes it even more difficult. I'd like to suggest Crucial for "standard grade" RAM that actually works on nearly all systems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

alexdg

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
i agree... thing is, i need lots of ram... i can either get 2gb of samsung or only 1gb any brand name... i'm not that worried if i dont get top performance, so i'd rather have more ram... but i'd like to know what the real performance difference might be

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by alexdg on 06/16/04 11:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wasn't even speaking of performance, I was speaking purely on stability. The Samsung might work, but then again it might be unstable. I don't know.

I do know that filling all 4 DIMMs decreases stability if the RAM isn't up to the task. Of course the IS7 allows increasing vDIMM which might fix an issue, if one occurs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>