Reinstalling XP Home w/out backup

Hi everyone,

Last night I tried to do a full reinstall of XP Home without using the disks
(as none were provided from HP). I followed the instructions per the manual
and everything was going great - it appeared that the system went through the
reinstall fine, but when I got back to the page where you set up you pc.
(blue screen, asking about the name of your computer and such) It just froze
up when I was all finished.

When I rebooted it told me (Error: system is not fully installed)

Any suggestions as to how I can get XP to load up????

Malke

Matthew wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Last night I tried to do a full reinstall of XP Home without using the
> disks
> (as none were provided from HP). I followed the instructions per the
> manual and everything was going great - it appeared that the system
> went through the reinstall fine, but when I got back to the page where
> you set up you pc. (blue screen, asking about the name of your
> computer and such) It just froze up when I was all finished.
>
> When I rebooted it told me (Error: system is not fully installed)
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can get XP to load up????

Without using what disks? To return your HP to factory condition, press
the F10 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to HP's
recovery program.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Turn the computer off, turn it back on, try setup again. It must not have
been finished installing. Sometimes it seems to hang for awhile but it
usually will get past it in a little while. Perhaps it was installing
drivers.

I've done the f-10 trick to get it to reinstall - however, everytime I get to
that same point where it is finishing - it just stalls.

Do I need to find someone with XP backups or is something else majorly wrong??

Malke

Matthew wrote:

> I've done the f-10 trick to get it to reinstall - however, everytime I
> get to that same point where it is finishing - it just stalls.
>
> Do I need to find someone with XP backups or is something else majorly
> wrong??

You need to call HP tech support, particularly if the computer is still
under warranty. It certainly does seem that there are hardware issues
involved.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell