Ashish34

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I have a DVD player which refuses to read any burned discs. Now, it will play original CD-ROMs fine, but it doesnt not support CD-R. I would like to play my custom music mixes on my DVD player. So my quesiton is, what exactly is different between the two media that would allow the DVD player to detect it is a CD-R? If it is some simple marker that is burned, then how can I burn a CD that would be marked as "real" (not burned)?

If it's a physical difference, what exactly is the difference, and is there any way to overcome this?

I think the companies should realize that not all burned discs are illegally created.

~ApT~

Running:
333 MHz Celeron (Slot1)
192 MB RAM
4 MB ATi Rage LT Integrated Video
ESS 1869 Integrated Audio
Comcrap (Compaq) mobo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some drives can't read burned media very well. The drive in your DVD player might be such a unit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try CDRW discs.

My old Toshiba SD-3107 DVD player has a similar problem. Plays most CDRW media fine but almost no CDR media.

I have had succes with Taiyo Yuden manufacturered CDRs. Plays these fine.

Taiyo Yuden is just the manufacturer but you usually have search for a brand selling TY manufactured discs since Taiyo Yuden doesn't have much of retail presence.

Here in the USA, Fuji Film used to use TY discs exclusively but now they are second sourcing. The Fuji Film dics that say manufactured in Japan still seem to be TY discs while the ones manufactured in Taiwan are from another manufacturer.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

The reflectivity of CD-Rs is lower so if you have an aging DVD player, the light intensity of the laser may not be sufficient to read CD-R discs.
But there could also be a quality issue with the CD-Rs so you may want to try different brands, especially Verbatim (or Taiyo Yuden if you can find them).