FYI... Types of Panels... Color Depth

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Pieced together from website... nothing original of mine.... Hose

"... From user discussions across the internet and from panel specs, it seems like perhaps the following best describes in modern panels:

* All TN Film panels = Dithering. Some are 6-bit with FRC, some are 6-bit extended to 9-bit and figure as 8-bit in the specs (or 16.7 million colours). More modern panels seem to be the latter, look for "16.7 million colours" quoted in specs.
* PVA Traditional = 8-Bit
* PVA + Overdrive = Dithering, 6-Bit +FRC
* S-PVA + Overdrive = Still real 8-bit
* MVA Traditional = 8-Bit
* 19" and below MVA + Overdrive = dithering, but not as obvious as with PVA + Overdrive
* >19" MVA + Overdrive = real 8-bit
* S-IPS Traditional = 8-Bit
* New S-IPS panels + Overdrive = No obvious issues
* AS-IPS = 8 bit, not heard any reports of colour issues on these

Thanks to Rasmus Larsen and Yakken over at Flatpanels.dk for their input with this discussion. Also to xtknight for his involvement and assistance. Please be aware that there is very little official information available online about this. It is not an official answer to the situation, but hopefully serves as a guide to what seems to be observed by many end users...."

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
1. Some 6-bit TN panels are getting better about colors and viewing angles. Perhaps within a couple of generations of improvements, they will be good enough that there will no longer be a market for more expensive VA or IPS screens.. ?? Used to be, the statement "16.7 Million colors" meant the screen was other than TN.... not necessarily so now. Adds confusion to an already confusing parameter.

2. I find some monitor's spec stats to be in error like the one you highlighted. I don't believe there is intent to deceive buyers, just lack of diligence about keeping spec summaries current. Buyers need to be careful and confirm beforehand.

3. ALL of the Brite screens are exactly the same, regardless of the name they use... that's the filter coating itself, not the panel it's attached to. One company owns the patent [Sony?], and all others are licensing from them.

4. BenQ's SensEye is not Brite screen, but rather preset brightness levels like Samsung's MagicBrite... which by the way, I happen to like. I also like the MagicTune software rather than having to use the OSD buttons.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
You can find articles on the web ragging on Samsung's high-end 970P apparently using "6-bit + FRC" color rendering in a PVA panel. Maybe Samsung is very clever about it because the 970P gets consistently top reveiws from buyers and professional reviewers. (I'm sure that some will conclude "it's no good because it's not 8-bit", but maybe it makes less difference to the eye than to electronic measuring devices...)

Anyway, the upgrade 971P supposedly uses S-PVA panel and is "True 8-bit".. and with overdrive. The 971P is new, so I'll be curious to see reviews on it. Spec-wise it looks like a champ (and at $359, a good price), but we'll see.