DVD player not detected in Windows

My first post.

When I cleaned out my CPU fan of dust (there was a LOT), my Pioneer DVD player disappeared from Windows. It just wasn't there.

It is detected as Secondary Master: DVD drive in BIOS, but it's not there in the device manager or as E:. I have checked and re-checked the IDE cable so that it is correctly connected. The jumper is still in position. What should I do?

7 answers Last reply
More about player detected windows
  1. Welcome to the forums!

If it shows up in BIOS it means that it's connected (and jumpered) correctly.

Do you have a bootable CD you can try and boot from? A Windows install CD or Norton or something? That will tell you if it's a problem with the drive itself or a problem with Windows.

I don't know what else to suggest (except an upgrade to Win2000 or XP), maybe someone else will have a thought or two.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*
  2. Thanks. :)

I might have a WinME install disk somewhere around here...so you mean that because it is bootable, it doesn't need the DVD player to be recognized in Windows, only in the BIOS?

So if the bootable CD works, it's Windows' fault? If so, what is there to do?
  3. Exactly - if the bootable CD works, its Windows fault.

If you boot Windows into safe mode is it there?

4. I tried Safe Mode, but it didn't show up.
    However, when I inserted a WinXP install disk (which I'm not going to install, if anything it's going to be Win98SE ;) and entered "CR rom" as primary boot device (instead of floppy) the DVD light started flickering and the installation program popped up. I guess that's good news for the DVD drive itself?

Though it still doesn't work in Windows. Is it possible it works in DOS? And what should I do about Windows, is there some system recovery or anything that I could use in WinME?
  5. At least you know what the problem is now.

I don't really know about WinME - never used it for any length of time. There might be a system recovery tool on the WinME boot CD.

Have you got all the WinME updates? <A HREF="http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" target="_new">http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com</A>

Do a search on your computer for cdfs.vxd and cdvsd.vxd - they are the Windows CD/DVD drivers. I *think* they should be in a folder called Windows\system\iosubsys

6. Yes, those files are there.

Windows update says no critical updates available.
  7. Anyone?
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives DVD Players Storage