Sign in with
Your question

UPGRADING CPU.... dv5-1004 ...possible???

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 8, 2009 1:23:18 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to replace the CPU on an HP dv5-1004nr??? :o 

Or overclock it?? :ouch: 

Just wondering... 'cause the Turion dual core with Vista64 and 4GB is a dog. :fou: 
More RAM would cost more than the notebook did. :pfff: 

About to try dual boot, and put XP Pro on it.
(Spare me the vista-bash, hmmm? :non:  No they don't want linux, etc)
Maybe beta Win7 would help... maybe I'll see this weekend. :pt1cable: 

:cry: 

More about : upgrading cpu dv5 1004

a b D Laptop
January 8, 2009 3:53:04 PM

What CPU is in it?
January 8, 2009 11:20:59 PM

CPU is the AMD Turion X2 Ultra mobile technology ZM-80 / 2.1 GHz

(Guess I could go look it up ;)  Just wondered if anybody might have done it already or another HP dv notebook, though there's multiple flavors.

That CPU sound like it's pinned or soldered? ;) 

[Edit]: Googled... apparently, a person can buy this processor... even perhaps as an HP upgrade kit, if I read write. [heheh... I meant 'read right'... weird homonymical dyslexia ;] Guess I should ask HP for their comments, and recommendations.
Related resources
January 9, 2009 9:28:59 AM

u're looking to burn the cpu. each laptop is designed to handle nomore than what it has because of the cooling system, buy new laptop or build a desktop
January 9, 2009 5:08:55 PM

While your comment may be right to varying extent... it is somewhat of a 'generalism'.
Your proposed options are to give up and take a loss. I think I will continue to investigate further.
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2009 1:47:04 AM

So long as the TDP of the processor you buy is near or the same as the one you have, don't worry about burning up anything.
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2009 4:07:39 AM

With the stock cap at 2.4GHz, I would only upgrade if you really use CPU intensive apps, or you're trying to escape a CPU bottleneck. Otherwise, the extra 300MHz won't bring you a whole lot.
January 10, 2009 4:34:32 AM

Yeah... well, thanks.
Maybe 'down the road' with similar cpu's as they get cheaper.
as it is, this 'new' notebook too oft seems hurry up and wait... not what you expect from a new machine. Switching MS OS version seems better option... still waiting on Win7 beta.

Now, on to replacing a dead mobo... cheesy emachine desktop :whistle: 
!