Gurps character Creator

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Hey everyone!! I have a question that, despite moderate internet
searching, could not find the answer to; so I decided to post here:

Has the gurps character creator software been updated to work with 4th
edition gurps?

thats all, thanks

bankbot
6 answers Last reply
More about gurps character creator
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    bankbot wrote:
    > Hey everyone!! I have a question that, despite moderate internet
    > searching, could not find the answer to; so I decided to post here:
    >
    > Has the gurps character creator software been updated to work with
    4th
    > edition gurps?
    >
    > thats all, thanks
    >
    > bankbot

    AFAIK the only software officialy getting updated to 4e is GCA, and the
    4e product will require Windows ME or beter meaning those of us ploding
    along on older machines are SOL. OTOH I've heard of a few people
    (myself included) who are working on unoficial for personal use only
    updates for GCB, so I'm sure there will be unoficial updates of some of
    the other programs too. The trick will be geting one if you can't do
    it yourself.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    bankbot wrote:
    > Has the gurps character creator software been updated to work with 4th
    > edition gurps?

    It is planned. Look here:
    http://www.sjgames.com/newproducts/newrel.html?fout=1

    > thats all, thanks
    >
    > bankbot

    HTH
    Johannes

    --
    http://www.5sl.org/~bretscher/mert/
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    "Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com> wrote in message
    > AFAIK the only software officialy getting updated to 4e is GCA, and the
    > 4e product will require Windows ME or beter meaning those of us ploding
    > along on older machines are SOL.

    Not /necessarily/. GCA3 currently supports Win95/98, and Armin is hopeful of
    not breaking backwards compatiability with future releases, including the
    official release through SJGames (obviously he can't promise this, which is
    apparently why WinME was chosen as a compatability point, but generally if a
    program works with WinME it will also work with Win95/98).

    > OTOH I've heard of a few people
    > (myself included) who are working on unoficial for personal use only
    > updates for GCB, so I'm sure there will be unoficial updates of some of
    > the other programs too. The trick will be geting one if you can't do
    > it yourself.

    I still don't understand why SJGames has held up GCB files - people
    understand that GCB won't be 100% compatiable with 4e. I'm sure there's some
    reason why they won't allow for distribution of the files.

    --
    EricBSmith http://home.stny.rr.com/gurpsland
    @earthling.net http://firedrake.org/eric_gurpsland/

    ES> I still don't understand why SJGames has held up GCB files -
    ES> people understand that GCB won't be 100% compatiable with
    ES> 4e. I'm sure there's some reason why they won't allow for
    ES> distribution of the files.

    My suspicion -- and I am not an SJG employee -- is that it's because
    any 4th edition GCB files that could be freely distributed could be
    used with Metacreator instead of GCB, since as I understand it they
    share an engine. This would mean that, instead of purchasing GCA3
    through SJG, you could buy Metacreator and download the GURPS 4e
    datasheet. This is a borderline case according to the SJG online
    policy, which probably means SJ himself needs to make the decision.
    And I imagine that with two big books having been published in the
    last two months and some more big books coming up on the schedule,
    deciding on GCB isn't a top priority.

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com

    On 22 Dec 2004 14:29:15 -0800, "Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com> wrote:
    >AFAIK the only software officialy getting updated to 4e is GCA, and the
    >4e product will require Windows ME or beter meaning those of us ploding
    >along on older machines are SOL.

    If it works on Windows ME or better, it must work on Linux, 'cuz Linux is
    way better than ME. It'll also run on older machines, so you should be
    fine.

    --
    chuk
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    Chuk Goodin wrote:
    > On 22 Dec 2004 14:29:15 -0800, "Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com> wrote:
    >
    >>AFAIK the only software officialy getting updated to 4e is GCA, and the
    >>4e product will require Windows ME or beter meaning those of us ploding
    >>along on older machines are SOL.
    >

    > If it works on Windows ME or better, it must work on Linux, 'cuz Linux is
    > way better than ME.

    Ah that joke. I was tempted to use that same line.
    Ken

Games Software Video Games