Passwords???

Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors, filled out
forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site or mine?
I have been asked many times about do you want to save this information
and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
Thanks.
Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me and drop
her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which one do I stand the
better chances with??
Thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about passwords

    Craig A. wrote:

    > Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    > I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    > passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors, filled out
    > forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site or mine?
    > I have been asked many times about do you want to save this information
    > and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    > Thanks.
    > Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    > Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me and drop
    > her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which one do I stand the
    > better chances with??
    > Thanks

    Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete |
    Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks Rock and what if I use Netscape, would I find it in a similiar location?
    Thanks you

    Craig A. wrote:

    > Thanks Rock and what if I use Netscape, would I find it in a similiar location?
    > Thanks you
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>Craig A. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    >>> I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    >>>passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors, filled out
    >>>forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site or mine?
    >>> I have been asked many times about do you want to save this information
    >>>and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    >>>Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me and drop
    >>>her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which one do I stand the
    >>>better chances with??
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >>Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete |
    >>Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You're welcome. Depends on the version. In 7.1 it's Edit | Preferences

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Edit, Preferences, Security

    Craig A. wrote:

    > Thanks Rock and what if I use Netscape, would I find it in a similiar location?
    > Thanks you
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>Craig A. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    >>> I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    >>>passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors, filled out
    >>>forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site or mine?
    >>> I have been asked many times about do you want to save this information
    >>>and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    >>>Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me and drop
    >>>her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which one do I stand the
    >>>better chances with??
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >>Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete |
    >>Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks Bob, Much appreciated

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Edit, Preferences, Security
    >
    > Craig A. wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Rock and what if I use Netscape, would I find it in a similiar location?
    > > Thanks you

    > >>Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete |
    > >>Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Rock
    > >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    well in windows you're pass word are stored in the

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config theres a file called SAM

    there are stored in low and Caps letters in side the file. for the windows
    logon

    Craig A. wrote:
    > Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    > I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    > passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors,
    > filled out forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site
    > or mine? I have been asked many times about do you want to save this
    > information
    > and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    > Thanks.
    > Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    > Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me
    > and drop her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which
    > one do I stand the better chances with??
    > Thanks

    Simple - format the hard drive, reinstall XP and you won't have to worry.

    Oh and if you want to be "imune from XP problems" [/sic/] you should have
    bought a Mac.

    lmao

    > Craig A. wrote:
    >> Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    >> I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    >> passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors,
    >> filled out forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site
    >> or mine? I have been asked many times about do you want to save this
    >> information
    >> and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    >> Thanks.
    >> Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    >> Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me
    >> and drop her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which
    >> one do I stand the better chances with??
    >> Thanks
    >
    > Simple - format the hard drive, reinstall XP and you won't have to worry.
    >
    > Oh and if you want to be "imune from XP problems" [/sic/] you should have
    > bought a Mac.

    I would think that copying a file would be a lot easier than Reformatting
    and re-installing programs and then re-configuring etc. Then again if you own
    an Apple, you are accustomed to doing it the long hard way. Apple has its own
    problems and if Apple was so perfect, Apple sales versus all other sales
    would be totally opposite of what they are now.
    Thanx for the input.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > Craig A. wrote:
    > > Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    > > I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    > > passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors,
    > > filled out forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site
    > > or mine? I have been asked many times about do you want to save this
    > > information
    > > and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    > > Thanks.
    > > Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    > > Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me
    > > and drop her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which
    > > one do I stand the better chances with??
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Simple - format the hard drive, reinstall XP and you won't have to worry.
    >
    > Oh and if you want to be "imune from XP problems" [/sic/] you should have
    > bought a Mac.

    Copying "a" file is easy, but rooting our each and every instance where
    you've entered personal information is not. Depends partially on how much
    you trust your daughter and/or anyone else who may use that computer, or who
    may get it after she's done with it.

    Also depends on how much you value your peace of mind when you find out your
    daughter's new boyfriend is really good with computers and he retrieved
    files that she thought she'd lost forever. And maybe somewhere you missed a
    file or two.

    Installing Windows takes maybe an hour of "real time" but very little of
    your time, unless you happen to like sitting there reading the screens as
    they change. Maybe you need to install a driver or two, but it's not as bad
    as installing, oh, let's say Windows 95 from floppies. An XP install needs
    very little user interaction, so you can walk away and just check back now
    and then. And most programs are simple too. Put in the CD, choose the
    default install, and let it go. Or just install Windows and give her the
    rest of the CDs to install herself, if she wants them. It's a good learning
    experience.

    WarOfGenesis wrote:

    > well in windows you're pass word are stored in the
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\config theres a file called SAM
    >
    > there are stored in low and Caps letters in side the file. for the windows
    > logon

    The OP wasn't asking about windows login passwords. He was asking about
    passwords typed in for websites.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Craig A. wrote:
    > Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    > I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    > passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors, filled out
    > forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site or mine?
    > I have been asked many times about do you want to save this information
    > and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    > Thanks.

    To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
    and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
    be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
    protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
    (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
    U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
    drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    applications.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Oh and if you want to be "imune from XP problems" [/sic/] you should have
    > bought a Mac.

    One with an Intel chip that will probably run MS Windows® on it????

    Defection will soon futile Miss Perspicacia Tick.

    -Winux P

    > Craig A. wrote:
    >> Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    >> I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    >> passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors,
    >> filled out forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site
    >> or mine? I have been asked many times about do you want to save this
    >> information
    >> and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    >> Thanks.
    >> Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    >> Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me
    >> and drop her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which
    >> one do I stand the better chances with??
    >> Thanks
    >
    > Simple - format the hard drive, reinstall XP and you won't have to worry.
    >
    > Oh and if you want to be "imune from XP problems" [/sic/] you should have
    > bought a Mac.

    Another non answer from a know nothing troll

    p9 wrote:
    > Another non answer from a know nothing troll
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Craig A. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Where is the file where my passwords are saved?
    >>> I am giving my computer to my daughter and I want to be sure that my
    >>>passwords from when I have ordered merch from different vendors,
    >>>filled out forms etc is deleted. Are they saved at the vendor's site
    >>> or mine? I have been asked many times about do you want to save this
    >>>information
    >>>and never investigated further where this info was being saved at.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Got me a NEW computer and maybe I will be imune from any more XP
    >>>Problems, maybe I will have a beautiful, tan, Blonde walk up to me
    >>>and drop her clothes and whisk me into ........ well anyway, which
    >>>one do I stand the better chances with??
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >>Simple - format the hard drive, reinstall XP and you won't have to worry.
    >>
    >>Oh and if you want to be "imune from XP problems" [/sic/] you should have
    >>bought a Mac.

    That info is stored in cookies on your PC.

    Open IE, goto tools, internet options and select delete cookies and click ok

    Also clso click delete file and check the box to delete all offline content.

    You can now be certain that info has been deleted and cannot be traced
    by your daughter.

    NB. Empty your recycle bin just to be sure the cookies cannot be
    restored from there.

Computers Windows XP