"Reboot and select poper boot device"

Emelth

Distinguished
Alright just finished putting my new build together using the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, got my Crucial M4 SSD appearing on BIOS and the DVD drive with my Windows 7 retail version in it.

I keep getting this error on my screen and cant figure out how to fix it. Ive searched all over TH forums for other people who had this issue and there has not really been a given answer that works. Most just say that they were messing around in the BIOS and finally got it to work with no explanation on how they did it. I've tried messing around with my BIOS and still not getting anywhere. Please help me out and thank you for all that assist me

bobotiti

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Dear Emelth,
You can find the solution by looking at the AsRock's User Manual included in the box.
-p.13 for the mobo layout
-p.36 for SATA3 connectors
-p.46 for SATA3 hard disk installation
-p.64 for storage configuration
Hope this can help you.

"Reboot and select proper boot device" is normally a sign that the system is trying to boot off a drive that has no OS.

This can happen with multiple hard drives or an improper boot order setup.

Make sure you are set to

First boot device DVD
second boot device SSD(It may just call it HDD)
Third boot device Disable
Forth boot device Disable

Make sure you are in AHCI mode for best performance. windows will have a basic driver for it built in too.

You can also press F8 while posting on most systems to get a boot menu to select the DVD to Install windows then do the same to select the SSD after, but this is not a good solution since you have to do it every boot. Once the boot order is set, it should be good.

Ohh yea, if do do not have the manual for the MB. Check 71 for boot order. Its a bit different on your board. just set CD as first boot device for install then set SSD
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Manual

philly27

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
"Reboot and select proper boot device" is normally a sign that the system is trying to boot off a drive that has no OS.

This can happen with multiple hard drives or an improper boot order setup.

Make sure you are set to

First boot device DVD
second boot device SSD(It may just call it HDD)
Third boot device Disable
Forth boot device Disable

+1
I recently had the same problem my boot order was correct but i had to disable the other drive to get it to boot from my ssd

I find it bad with Asus board. drop in a storage drive and it wants to boot from it :). 2 second fix.

Emelth

Distinguished
Yes it was in AHCI mode

Yes DVD drive was first boot drive then SSD was second no other drives attached

SSD is in SATA3_0, ROM in SATA2_5 position

None of this is getting me anywhere what the heck, I even go back and change everything to default and go step by step over and over again and still nothing

Emelth

Distinguished
I just tried plugging my SSD into my other computer that Ive had for 2+ years, changed the boot priority, put Microsoft Student Edition in and it still came up with the error. Is my SSD screwed? If so why didnt it work with my 1TB HDD that I had for storge?

Edited: So I put my old comp back the way it was tested and saw it started up normally like always. Then I turned it off and add the SSD on top of the HDD that is in it already, it booted up. Windows notified me that the SSD drive is ready for use, I go to Computer and I dont see the SSD popping up. But I got into Device Manager and see it. I have windows check the drive to see if there was any updates and it said it was already up to date. I also head over to the crucial website and try to update the firmware and it says its up to date as well.

So I'm gonna say its not an SSD issue, correct? Next up I'm gonna look at the new CD ROM i bought see if it has any issues on my old computer but I dont see how it can since its new...

Emelth

Distinguished
Tested my new CD/DVD ROM on old computer works perfectly fine

Back to the new computer I plug everything in, Restore BIOS defaults
Boot 1: ROM
Boot 2: SSD
I went in to Advance Settings, checked to make sure everything was set to AHCI, saved exited. Screen comes up with "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

Restart, BIOS to default again, change the boot order back to ROM then SSD, go to advance settings storage config switch to IDE, still no luck.

Restart again, BIOS to default again, boot order put in, back to Advanced Settings storage config, switch top AHCI to IDE, leave the second AHCI as is, still no luck

Restart, BIOS to default, boot order, advance storage config, leave the top option as AHCI change the second AHCI to IDE, no bueno.

*bangs head against keyboard*

Does F8 on post give you an option to select a boot device manually?

Also. the drive is DVD right.

I am not sure if you would have any better luck with a USB install or not.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

One more thing to look at is what SATA ports you are using?

Are you using the 2 top ports? Those are on the ASmedia controller, I would use the 2 ports below that. They are SATA 6gigabit/sec(Good for the SSD) The 4 lower can be used for the DVD drive, but no harm having it on the sata 6gigabit/sec ports.

So use SATA3_0_1 NOT SATA3_A0_A1 see if that helps any.

My bad about port locations. Honestly unsure how it can tell you that you have no proper boot device. I am kind of as stuck as you on that one.

You can replace the DVD install with a USB install(Boot off a flash drive). Many users do this for netbooks and other computer that lack an optical drive.

Emelth

Distinguished
Alright so more brain mashing, took my old DVD drive from my other comp put it into the new one tried everything under the sun again and still nothing. What the hell could the issue be?

I tried the new SSD in my other computer it installed perfectly fine
I tried the new DVD ROM in my other computer and it showed data on the CDs perfectly fine
I've changed the BIOS around in all combinations that I could think of following every ones advice and tips.

What item do I have to return? Which part of the computer is it that is causing me the trouble? I cant just return everything and say send me everything brand new, this is just too frustrating! 3 years of building computers and I cant figure this out, I went to a computer repair shop and told them everything I have done and even they said they cant tell what it might be. This is just some straight BS why is there not a way for me tell which part of the PC is ******* up!

The board would be my guess, but for the hell of it, try a linux live CD/DVD too see if you can even boot a cd/dvd.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I have never in my life come across a computer that would not boot a CD(Ok, well the days when you had to boot from floppy to get cd's working, but you know what I mean).

It also never hurts to contact Asrock to see if they have anything to say.

http://www.asrock.com/support/tsd.asp

bobotiti

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

I suggest that we have 2 issues related to this problem:
1-the SSD (you have eliminated it.It works on old comp.)
1-the mobo:I think that it has problem with storage controller.What we can do now is Clear the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery and using CLR CMOS jumper.
After all,return your mobo to the seller for checking.

johnnyp14

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Having the exact same issue!!! How did you fix this??