Questiona bout installing windows 7

miked79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Ive installed windows 7 on a few computers I own. And I always do it by just deleting the drives partition and then I click "new" on the Unallocated Space which was created after deleting the partition. Is that right? Does it automatically create a new partition and format it?

Cuz i seen on youtube, that the guy on a tutorial clicks "new" *on the unnallocated space* and creates a new partition , then he clicks Format, then starts installing windows.

Have I been doing it wrong? 2 outta my 3 computers work well. But one keeps having trubble , and windows will not start after a few days. I was just thinking this was a bad HDD, could this be due to me installing windows wrong?

Thanks guys!

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
You are doing it correctly - it automatically partitions and formats when you click next. You don't have to do what the guy in the video does.

Your issue is something else and it does sound hardware related it me.

miked79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

k ty for thee info! I figured it would give me an error or something right away if i was doing it wrong heh

QUOTE scout_03

did you try the format to install over the existing one so it will ask you to erase all the data before the new install

And no I did not, Ive been just deleting the partition, which i assumed deleted all the information on the HDD. Doesnt that do the same thing as deleting the partition? Since the earlier poster said that it automatically reformatts ?
(all my data was gone, so it was like a fresh install)

Partitioning and formatting a hard drive does not delete the data on the drive, and can be recovered with undeleting software. Some partitioning software does however write to the first sector of every track. I always format after selecting new, but if it installs without doing this then you do not need to do it.