Cheap Laptop for World Of Warcraft required

I'm thinking of buying a cheap / mid-range laptop, with the intention of running World of Warcraft on it. I understand the limitations of laptop GPUs, so I don't expect to push the sliders all the way up, but would like a reasonable performance with a decent graphics image. I don't plan to play any other games on it, they will remain on my desktop machine. With the laptop I can play WoW in the lounge while the missus sits next to me and watches all her crappy reality shows (Celebrity, Big Brother etc :-O )

I think my budget will be capped at about £500 but I won't even bother if playing WoW is just a frustrating experience. I already have a work laptop for surfing, email etc.

Can anyone tell me of their experience on WoW on a laptop, and let me know what CPU / GPU combo their laptop has?

Jock in a Frock
6 answers Last reply
More about cheap laptop world warcraft required
  1. Of course "reasonable preformance" and "decent graphics" is relative mark. IMHO, the integrated Intel 4500MHD is actually pretty decent.

There should be a lot of laptops out there with discrete graphics in your price range, just about any of them should be okay.

One of the few webpages that benchmarks these things:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
  2. Agree with the one statement; anything with a discrete graphics card will do.
  3. Thanks for your replies, and especially that link. It gives me a better way of comparing laptop GPUs.
  4. Jebus Crimes!

Just my luck, as I consider a laptop, my main machine starts playing up. Problems with POST, occasional power downs etc.

I have stripped, cleaned and reseated everything (RAM, CPU, Cooler, Gfx card, HDDs etc), but it still persists. I think it may be my PSU at fault (due to power downs), so I will try replacing that first.
  5. Occasional power downs is a good sign of PSU trouble, you're on the right track.
  6. It's a pretty cheap 400w model, I have an Asus A8n-E mobo, Athlon 3700+ @ 2.4GHz, 2Gb PC3200 RAM, Radeon HD3870 GPU, Audigy Live soundcard, and the usual other bits & bobs.

Voltages are okay (measured with multimeter), but thats not always an indication that sufficient current is there.

Tried my old Radeon X800 card, but still no luck

A friend is lending me another PSU so I will try that. If not, I'll upgrade the mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU (an excude to go dual core ;-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops World Of Warcraft