Explorer.exe

explorer.exe hangs at startup and all I can see is the wallpaper on the
desktop.....no icons and no task bar. I can run the task manager and then
run just about any program, including internet explorer. I went to a
dll-fixer web site and downloaded the trail and it told me that I had a
bunch of errors in my reg and apps...but of course, they want money to fix
them and I'm not certain that this is my problem. every once and a while i
get an "explorer has terminated unexpectidly" error because
c:\windows\system32\ANY.dll is missing or corrupt. The .dll that is missing
is Always different, leading me to believe that explorer.exe is COMPLETELY
fubar. I need to know what actions I can take to fix this issue. I've ran
Spybot and AVG. Spybot eliminated some 200 spyware and adware reg keys and
programs. AVG found nothing. It's very difficult to navigate through the
machine given that I have no real GUI, so I'm not certain if I can install
any other Anti Virus software. Is there some place that I can get a fix
that will replace all of the explorer.exe .dll files and reg entries? I
should mention that this is a Win XP SP2 machine.

--
Wack
----

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Ray Lewis wrote:

> explorer.exe hangs at startup and all I can see is the wallpaper on the
> desktop.....no icons and no task bar. I can run the task manager and then
> run just about any program, including internet explorer. I went to a
> dll-fixer web site and downloaded the trail and it told me that I had a
> bunch of errors in my reg and apps...but of course, they want money to fix
> them and I'm not certain that this is my problem. every once and a while i
> get an "explorer has terminated unexpectidly" error because
> c:\windows\system32\ANY.dll is missing or corrupt. The .dll that is missing
> is Always different, leading me to believe that explorer.exe is COMPLETELY
> fubar. I need to know what actions I can take to fix this issue. I've ran
> Spybot and AVG. Spybot eliminated some 200 spyware and adware reg keys and
> programs. AVG found nothing. It's very difficult to navigate through the
> machine given that I have no real GUI, so I'm not certain if I can install
> any other Anti Virus software. Is there some place that I can get a fix
> that will replace all of the explorer.exe .dll files and reg entries? I
> should mention that this is a Win XP SP2 machine.

First make sure the system is free of all malware. See these links:
THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

Once you're sure the system is clean then try to run sfc /scannow from
Start | Run. Have the XP installation CD in the CD drive.

If that doesn't do it then do a repair install:

If that doesn't fix things then it's a clean install:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

What you need to do is run BHODemon. Do NOT run the latest versiion. Find
a version that is older than the current. This is due to the fact the old
version is just the executable which you can run and there is no integration
of it into Windows. Easily removed. But the new version has an installer
and is really more than necessary.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Ray Lewis" <dav5489@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> explorer.exe hangs at startup and all I can see is the wallpaper on the
> desktop.....no icons and no task bar. I can run the task manager and then
> run just about any program, including internet explorer. I went to a
> dll-fixer web site and downloaded the trail and it told me that I had a
> bunch of errors in my reg and apps...but of course, they want money to fix
> them and I'm not certain that this is my problem. every once and a while
> get an "explorer has terminated unexpectidly" error because
> c:\windows\system32\ANY.dll is missing or corrupt. The .dll that is
missing
> is Always different, leading me to believe that explorer.exe is COMPLETELY
> fubar. I need to know what actions I can take to fix this issue. I've
ran
> Spybot and AVG. Spybot eliminated some 200 spyware and adware reg keys
and
> programs. AVG found nothing. It's very difficult to navigate through the
> machine given that I have no real GUI, so I'm not certain if I can install
> any other Anti Virus software. Is there some place that I can get a fix
> that will replace all of the explorer.exe .dll files and reg entries? I
> should mention that this is a Win XP SP2 machine.
>
> --
> Wack
> ----
> This message will self destruct.

I don't have a taskbar, so can I run it from the task manager or do I have
to load the cmd prompt first and then navigate to sfc.exe? Also, do you
think that a win xp bootdisk will help?

--
Wack
----
"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Ray Lewis wrote:
>
> > explorer.exe hangs at startup and all I can see is the wallpaper on the
> > desktop.....no icons and no task bar. I can run the task manager and
then
> > run just about any program, including internet explorer. I went to a
> > dll-fixer web site and downloaded the trail and it told me that I had a
> > bunch of errors in my reg and apps...but of course, they want money to
fix
> > them and I'm not certain that this is my problem. every once and a
while i
> > get an "explorer has terminated unexpectidly" error because
> > c:\windows\system32\ANY.dll is missing or corrupt. The .dll that is
missing
> > is Always different, leading me to believe that explorer.exe is
COMPLETELY
> > fubar. I need to know what actions I can take to fix this issue. I've
ran
> > Spybot and AVG. Spybot eliminated some 200 spyware and adware reg keys
and
> > programs. AVG found nothing. It's very difficult to navigate through
the
> > machine given that I have no real GUI, so I'm not certain if I can
install
> > any other Anti Virus software. Is there some place that I can get a fix
> > that will replace all of the explorer.exe .dll files and reg entries? I
> > should mention that this is a Win XP SP2 machine.
> >

> First make sure the system is free of all malware. See these links:
> THE PARASITE FIGHT
> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
> http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
>
> Once you're sure the system is clean then try to run sfc /scannow from
> Start | Run. Have the XP installation CD in the CD drive.
>
> If that doesn't do it then do a repair install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> If that doesn't fix things then it's a clean install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Windows key + R will open the Run box.

You can open Run from the Task Manager...

To start Task Manager:

Ctrl + Alt + Delete
or
Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Once open, click File | New Task (Run...)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User