Status
Not open for further replies.

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I might get a Mac Mini at good price. I wonder if there is a way I could use Sound Blaster X-Fi with it. According to what I know this is by far better source then onboard Realtec audio.
Thanks!

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I actually thought about getting my existing X-Fi to work on Mac.
But this is another solution... not bad, considering it is USB sound card that can also be used standalone. For the price not a bad deal...
Extra pro is the color match, LOL.

G

Ok. I have an 8 core MacPro. It has 4 PCIe slots on it. I run My ATI X1900 XT in slot one. I run An X-FI PCI express card in my machine. But it only works in winders. Here is the link for this card. http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=16770 it runs very well. and I am also orking on developing a driver and app for OS X leopard. Enjoy. Oh just incase Vista Ultimate 64 is what I am using. And it was installed without boot camp on a second drive.

jeff4760

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Ok. I have an 8 core MacPro. It has 4 PCIe slots on it. I run My ATI X1900 XT in slot one. I run An X-FI PCI express card in my machine. But it only works in winders. Here is the link for this card. http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=16770 it runs very well. and I am also orking on developing a driver and app for OS X leopard. Enjoy. Oh just incase Vista Ultimate 64 is what I am using. And it was installed without boot camp on a second drive.

Anonymous are you still around? You mention you are developing a driver for XFI to run on Mac. Will you please head over to insanelymac.com and let those people know? If you are serious, then it would be a great boon in the audio side of the community.

ksdavis

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hi Have the same kinda requirements and was looking for a USB Xmod in UK but couldn't find one, until I came across trustedgoods dot com. I'm not connected to them, but they are in UK and have these units in stock. I even got hold of Creative Europe and they told me they do not have anything suitable and the Xmod is only available overseas.

If you don't get any luck with them then try lindy dot co dot uk - they also do a USB sound card that will work with the MAC.

My particular requirement is to connect some external speakers to my 24" LED screen that I use with my MacBook Pro. Even though there is a sound card and speakers built into the screen, they are not great by any means (see all the screen reviews), and the screen doesn't have a audio out / mic jacks. The sound card in the MacBook is also just good enough for the internal speakers.

I have also tried the USB X-Fi GO and although it works great from a sound point of view, it completely trashes things like spotlight and causes a load of other weird issues - most notable things to stop working were iTunes, Time Machine, and it often would not even restart or shutdown until I pulled the X-Fi GO out the USB port. In a word - X-Fi GO is not suitable for MAC.
HTH.

incredimike

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I just wanted to make a note for all those Googling (like me) that the Creative X-Fi GO Pro works just fine for me on OSX (10.6) Snow Leopard.

conigrl

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

I keep reading that folks are recommending this for usage on with SL. What kext are you using with it?
-c.

G

OK, i got it to work!!!!

Anyone out there trying to find a suitable USB SOUND CARD for mac. the X Fi go Pro works. Anything earlier than 10.6 Snow Leopard i think may have trouble but on my 10.6 it works perfectly. ( update for £25 if you haven't already from mac shop) Ok you don't have the 600mb of software to mess about with but it still saves you from a £££ bill to get an unsuitable headphone jack refixed.

When i plugged it in it didn't work! but all you have to do, (stupidity on my part) is go to Sound in System Preferences change the Output to the now appeared X Fi Go Pro USB device and there you have it squelchy music cranked up to blast a hole through the neighbours wall!

Very happy after a year without laptop output. I'll continue to test its quality as i only have shitty headphones to test it with

:eek:

FlipKay

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7 Lion and plugged in my external USB X-fi (model SB1090 - that I use on my Windows computer) into it and it works beautifully, plug 'n play! All you need to do is change the device for the sound output destination in Sound preferences.

The bad / inconvenient thing :( is it doesn't let you change the volume through the MBP GUI but you can adjust it through iTunes, but I guess that's what my speakers' volume control is for. :)

MAC4NDR3W

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I'M RUNNING A iMAC LATE 2009 EDITION 27" SCREEN WITH iOS LION ...& I'VE JUST BOUGHT SOUND BLASTER X-Fi HD . ITS VERY EASY TO SET UP JUST PLUG YOUR USB LEAD INTO YOUR MAC & THE SOUND BLASTER X-Fi HD (Black Box) I'VE CONNECTED MY LOGITECH SPEAKERS THROUGH THE .....AUDIO OPTICAL OUT With The Right Cable ....... TOSLINK ONE OF THESE >>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/XO-Resolution-Professional-Digital-Optical/dp/B003BLUAUK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1330006972&sr=8-11 THAT'S IT ...... NOW OPEN SETTING ON YOUR MAC CLIC ON SOUND Sound Effects Output Input AT THE TOP CLIC ON OUTPUT YOU WILL SEE 2 USB SOUND BLASTER HD Devices THE BOTTOM ONE CLIC ON THIS NOW LETS U HEAR THE SOUND :D THE TOP USB SOUND BLASTER HD ... IS FOR WHEN YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR MAC THROUGH HEADPHONES So You Have To Do This Each Time You Want To listen Mac Or Headphones ( UNLESS YOU HAVE A HEADPHONE JACK ( Connector) ON YOUR CONNECTED OUTPUT DEVICE ie (SPEAKERS ) You Should Have :D THATS IT REALLY THE SUPPLIED SOFTWARE DOSN'T WORK ON Macs ONLY PCs & THE VOLUME BUTTON ON THE USB SOUND BLASTER HD UNIT WONT WORK SO USE YOUR SPEAKER VOLUME CONTROL ( easiest ) OR MACS INBUILT VOLUME CONTROL ........ TO HEAR YOUR MACS OWN SOUNDS CLIK ON Sound Effect Tab & CHANGE THAT TO USB SOUND BLASTER HD THE FIRST ONE .....If You Want Everything To Come Through Your External Speakers If Not Leave Internal

Status
Not open for further replies.