4e Magic - Animal college question

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In 4e Magic, there are a list of 5 sample animals listed for the Animal
Control spell - Bird, Fish, Mammal, Reptile & Vermin. In 3e, between Magic
and Grimoire, there were a total of 11.

Now I suppose that Arachnid Control could cost the same as Vernim Control,
while Crustacean Control and Mollusk Control could cost the same as Fish
Control. However, does anyone see anything wrong with still using the same
11 spells in 4e? I know it might seem like 'lazy GMing', but when you have
to remember to write to a basic level - I'm mostly writing for moduals for
my local gaming convention - that it is best to imagine that you'll more
then likely to run into someone who hasn't got a clue about things.

Dave

"Dave" <dgreenlaw_no_spam@rogers.com> wrote in message
> In 4e Magic, there are a list of 5 sample animals listed for the Animal
> Control spell - Bird, Fish, Mammal, Reptile & Vermin. In 3e, between
> Magic and Grimoire, there were a total of 11.
>
> Now I suppose that Arachnid Control could cost the same as Vernim Control,
> while Crustacean Control and Mollusk Control could cost the same as Fish
> Control. However, does anyone see anything wrong with still using the
> same 11 spells in 4e? I know it might seem like 'lazy GMing', but when
> you have to remember to write to a basic level - I'm mostly writing for
> moduals for my local gaming convention - that it is best to imagine that
> you'll more then likely to run into someone who hasn't got a clue about
> things.
>
> Dave
I'm curious if anyone has ever run a campaign in which Crustacean Control or
Mollusk control was ever cast. "Onward, my snail minions! Bwahahahah!"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

> However, does anyone see anything wrong with still using the same
> 11 spells in 4e? I know it might seem like 'lazy GMing', but when you have
> to remember to write to a basic level - I'm mostly writing for moduals for
> my local gaming convention - that it is best to imagine that you'll more
> then likely to run into someone who hasn't got a clue about things.

no - just compare the 3rd Magic and the 4th Magic. The spells differ
only in minor details, so why should that be lazy GMing.

Scooter the mighty wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has ever run a campaign in which Crustacean
Control or
> Mollusk control was ever cast. "Onward, my snail minions!
Bwahahahah!"

Mollusk control should make pearl diving a lot easier.

"Scooter the mighty" <Spambait@nowhere.com> writes:

>I'm curious if anyone has ever run a campaign in which Crustacean Control or
>Mollusk control was ever cast. "Onward, my snail minions! Bwahahahah!"

"Hey, Zoidberg! Get in here!"

"Screw you!"

--
"Whoso would be a man must be a HEY LET'S GO RIDE OUR BIKES!"
- "Self-Reliance", by Ralph Waldo Emerson (first draft)

Scooter the mighty wrote:
> "Dave" <dgreenlaw_no_spam@rogers.com> wrote in message
>
>>In 4e Magic, there are a list of 5 sample animals listed for the Animal
>>Control spell - Bird, Fish, Mammal, Reptile & Vermin. In 3e, between
>>Magic and Grimoire, there were a total of 11.
>>
>>Now I suppose that Arachnid Control could cost the same as Vernim Control,
>>while Crustacean Control and Mollusk Control could cost the same as Fish
>>Control. However, does anyone see anything wrong with still using the
>>same 11 spells in 4e? I know it might seem like 'lazy GMing', but when
>>you have to remember to write to a basic level - I'm mostly writing for
>>moduals for my local gaming convention - that it is best to imagine that
>>you'll more then likely to run into someone who hasn't got a clue about
>>things.
>>
>>Dave
>
> I'm curious if anyone has ever run a campaign in which Crustacean Control or
> Mollusk control was ever cast. "Onward, my snail minions! Bwahahahah!"

Well, it might be useful in a GURPS Neverending Story campaign (say, if
the Racing Snail a character is riding bolts).

"Scooter the mighty" <Spambait@nowhere.com> wrote:
>I'm curious if anyone has ever run a campaign in which Crustacean Control or
>Mollusk control was ever cast. "Onward, my snail minions! Bwahahahah!"

I think I crit-failed a mollusk control spell on a giant squid
once. It wasn't pretty.

--
Steffan O'Sullivan | "If I should pass the tomb of Jonah
sos@panix.com | I would stop there and sit for awhile;

Dave wrote:
> In 4e Magic, there are a list of 5 sample animals listed for the
Animal
> Control spell - Bird, Fish, Mammal, Reptile & Vermin. In 3e, between
Magic
> and Grimoire, there were a total of 11.

Does it give examples of what classify as vermin, is it just everything
that doesn't fit in the other categories?

<pesterfield@river-valley.net> wrote in message

> Scooter the mighty wrote:
>
>> I'm curious if anyone has ever run a campaign in which Crustacean
> Control or
>> Mollusk control was ever cast. "Onward, my snail minions!
> Bwahahahah!"
>
> Mollusk control should make pearl diving a lot easier.

Some, I guess. Since they don't actually move, you'd still have to dive for
them.

On 8 Jan 2005 20:49:15 -0800, pesterfield@river-valley.net wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> In 4e Magic, there are a list of 5 sample animals listed for the
>Animal
>> Control spell - Bird, Fish, Mammal, Reptile & Vermin. In 3e, between
>Magic
>> and Grimoire, there were a total of 11.
>
>Does it give examples of what classify as vermin, is it just everything
>that doesn't fit in the other categories?

Based on what the other categories are, I'm guessing it's all the
arthropods, both arachnids and insects.

"tobias.langner" wrote:

> no - just compare the 3rd Magic and the 4th Magic. The spells differ only
> in minor details, so why should that be lazy GMing.

Okay, maybe that was a bad choice of words on my part. >_<

Maybe what I'd like is for a clarification of which of the other 6 3e animal
spells would go under which of the 5 4e spells. I mean, it could be like
this:

Bird

Fish
-Amphibian
-Crustacean
-Mollusk
-Protazoan (?)

Mammal

Reptile

Vermin
-Arachnid
-Insect
-Worm (?)

However, there are those two question marks that I have up there. I mean,
do you actually think that every player would agree that controlling
protazoan should cost 2 fatigue? Likewise with worms.

It's all open to interpretation. I'd just like to get some clarity on the
subject.

Dave

Dave wrote:
> "tobias.langner" wrote:
>
>>no - just compare the 3rd Magic and the 4th Magic. The spells differ only
>>in minor details, so why should that be lazy GMing.
>

> Okay, maybe that was a bad choice of words on my part. >_<
>
> Maybe what I'd like is for a clarification of which of the other 6 3e animal
> spells would go under which of the 5 4e spells. I mean, it could be like
> this:
>
> Bird
>
> Fish
> -Amphibian
> -Crustacean
> -Mollusk
> -Protazoan (?)
>
> Mammal
>
> Reptile
>
> Vermin
> -Arachnid
> -Insect
> -Worm (?)
>
> However, there are those two question marks that I have up there. I mean,
> do you actually think that every player would agree that controlling
> protazoan should cost 2 fatigue? Likewise with worms.
>
> It's all open to interpretation. I'd just like to get some clarity on the
> subject.

Well, the way I see it. If they want an inexpensive spell to control the
worms (with IQ 1 or 0), they have to a) find a Control Worms spell, or
b) make Control Worms spell.

--
Taneli