Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Verizon Wireless Signal Booster? Yes?

Last response: in General Connectivity
February 21, 2012 11:20:21 AM

Hey all,

I've come to beg upon your expertise. I recently started a new job which was placed me in the basement of a building for the majority of my day. Unfortunately, this means that I get no reception at all for my Droid X on Verizon. Are there any options, such as boosters, that I could keep on my desk or something that would give me at least some reception (at least the ability to receive calls?) I tried looking about but everything looks like cords and antennas and stuff. Like I said, something that could just be placed on my desk.

Also, If I were to find something, is there a way that I could (selfishly) be the only one that uses it. Free rider problem FTL. :fou: 

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Best solution

a b F Wireless
February 22, 2012 4:00:49 PM

There is nothing like what you want, the only thing you can just plop on your desk to enable service where there is none would be a genie lamp.

Here is an older article with some suggestions http://www.pcworld.com/article/138835/new_ways_to_solve...

You can always contact Verizon and see what they offer. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?acti...
February 22, 2012 4:15:02 PM

Sounds like I will be residing in a black hole of cell phone reception. Please let me know when you come up with this genie lamp. :D 

Appreciate the response.
Score
Related resources
February 22, 2012 4:15:09 PM

Best answer selected by Crush3d.
Score
a b F Wireless
February 22, 2012 4:43:27 PM

Crush3d said:
Sounds like I will be residing in a black hole of cell phone reception. Please let me know when you come up with this genie lamp. :D 

Appreciate the response.

This is an issue in many office buildings, what some do is actually add antennas to the cell providers to offset that. One of our buildings has some nice "green" windows that reflect a lot of heat energy. The side-effect of this is that the coating also reflects almost all cell signals as well, they had to add cell towers to the building for anything to work. And I'm also in the basement where Verizon did not work till a few years ago when the hospital added antennas to my building and ran connections down to the lower levels.

You can always use Google Voice or Skype and connect to the WiFi also, if that's in your area. The femtocell product you'll have to hook up to the network, which probably means help with the IT department which would also probably mean that it won't get approved.
Score
March 3, 2012 7:25:50 AM

i had same experience. once i lived in an an old building, the signal is not very well. My cell phone always get 1 bar signal, I dial-out a call to my friends, and he nearly could not hear me, the word is on and off. And then I install a mobile phone repeater, it spends my few hours. When I finish installation procedures, I turn on the device. And after while, my cell phone signal become better. I watch my cellular phone; it can get 4-5 bars. Then I call to my friends, this time he can hear me clearly.
Score
!