Sign in with
Your question

Opinion on ghosting ( 2ms vs 8ms )

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 4, 2006 3:31:38 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some user opinions on ghosting with LCD's.

I play mostly RTS games like Cossacks and Age of Empires III.

Will I notice any significant ghosting or lag with an 8MS monitor? or is ghosting more a factor when you play FPS games like Call of Duty etc..?

-Thanks - jg1234
October 5, 2006 2:39:30 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some user opinions on ghosting with LCD's.

I play mostly RTS games like Cossacks and Age of Empires III.

Will I notice any significant ghosting or lag with an 8MS monitor? or is ghosting more a factor when you play FPS games like Call of Duty etc..?

-Thanks - jg1234

Well keep in mind that the response time listed on the box is nearly meaningless. It does not truly measure the response times of the monitor's colors. Technically 16ms would equal 60fps, but it is possible that monitors that list a response time of 8ms could have response times higher than 16ms.

As for FPS verses RTS. I would guess that with FPS, response times and high framerates are very important due to the fast paced action and need for accuracy during fast motiong. With RTS, it may be possible that you could accept a little bit of motion blur (though it still would not be something that I would want). I don't personally have an LCD, so I could be quite wrong on all of this.

If you want a monitor with fairly good response times, consider the ones listed in green on this page:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Response-Time-Testing...
They are mostly 19"
October 6, 2006 1:29:22 PM

Thanks KevinAr18,

That was a good link. I will have to check some of those out. I know Newegg usually has alot of user reviews with their hardware so I may check on that site also.

I really like the articles and reviews sections on Tom's mainpage as well.

-jg1234
!