Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'm running a fantasy campaign and a friend told me about a Discworld Staff
being something like a power stone. Does anyone have the stats for one? I
don't have (don't want) Discworld as a setting but the item sounded like it
had possibilities.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

According to the new edition of G:Magic for fourth edition a
"powerstone" can be anything the GM feels is apropriate for the
setting. So if you want to have them in the form of staffs you can
with no change to the spell involved or the item cost. What if any
limitations the staff itself will have on how much energy it can be
enchanted to hold are up to you as GM.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

"William Dickison" <wesd_dm@hotmail.com> schrieb

> I'm running a fantasy campaign and a friend told me about
> a Discworld Staff being something like a power stone.

To cite GURPS Discworld: "A staff is an energy storage device, a mark of
status, a support while taking long meditative walks, and, if
necessary, six feet of bashing weapon."

Not the mention that "A wizard's staff has a knob on the end." :)

> Does anyone have the stats for one? I don't have
> (don't want) Discworld as a setting but the item
> sounded like it had possibilities.

Generally a normal staff holds max. the creators IQ + Magery at the
time of enchantment. Some older staffs can hold more, staffs from
sapient pearwood can hold 10 times as much.

Discworld staffs can get other abilites (e.g. "works as a compass") and
are very like to get quirks as well.

Florian 'Irian' Schaetz <Iryan@gmx.de> wrote:
> "William Dickison" <wesd_dm@hotmail.com> schrieb
>
>> I'm running a fantasy campaign and a friend told me about
>> a Discworld Staff being something like a power stone.
>
> To cite GURPS Discworld: "A staff is an energy storage device, a mark of
> status, a support while taking long meditative walks, and, if
> necessary, six feet of bashing weapon."
>
> Not the mention that "A wizard's staff has a knob on the end." :)

I believe Terry once remarked that wizards probably spend a little time
each day charging up their staff (although you go blind if you do it
too much, ofcourse).

mcv.

"Florian 'Irian' Schaetz" <Iryan@gmx.de> wrote in message
> "William Dickison" <wesd_dm@hotmail.com> schrieb
>
> > I'm running a fantasy campaign and a friend told me about
> > a Discworld Staff being something like a power stone.
>
> To cite GURPS Discworld: "A staff is an energy storage device, a mark of
> status, a support while taking long meditative walks, and, if
> necessary, six feet of bashing weapon."
>
> Not the mention that "A wizard's staff has a knob on the end." :)

In fact, I seem to recall mention that should a staff be knobless at the
time of enchantment, it will *grow* a knob, the form of which reflects the
wizard's personality.

Most wizards make sure their staffs are pre-knobbed, just to be on the safe
side. ;)

- David Prokopetz.

TRENDING THREADS