is it safe ?

Hi there,

I just got my computer back on line after a Panda Software trial messed up
my PC for last week (XP Home)...Anyway...My Norton internet Security 2002
(although its out of date) ask me if I should permit acces to the internet
for this :-C:/WINDOWS/system32/svchost.exe is this safe to permit ?

Also for some reason I am now reading Newsgroups in smaller text than usual
and I`ve noticed this in Windows Security Centre too ? Whats that all about ?

Please help me...

Caroline Thom
--
Don't worry Be happy !
4 answers Last reply

    Hi

    You can read about svchost.exe here:

    "A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "TomCatEss76" <cattom200476@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I just got my computer back on line after a Panda Software trial messed up
    > my PC for last week (XP Home)...Anyway...My Norton internet Security 2002
    > (although its out of date) ask me if I should permit acces to the internet
    > for this :-C:/WINDOWS/system32/svchost.exe is this safe to permit ?
    >
    > Also for some reason I am now reading Newsgroups in smaller text than
    > usual
    > and I`ve noticed this in Windows Security Centre too ? Whats that all
    > about ?
    >
    > Please help me...
    >
    > Caroline Thom
    > --
    > Don't worry Be happy !

    hi i`ll have a look at that will - thanks once again for coming to my rescue
    !!!

    Caroline
    xx
    --
    Don't worry Be happy !

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You can read about svchost.exe here:
    >
    > "A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "TomCatEss76" <cattom200476@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I just got my computer back on line after a Panda Software trial messed up
    > > my PC for last week (XP Home)...Anyway...My Norton internet Security 2002
    > > (although its out of date) ask me if I should permit acces to the internet
    > > for this :-C:/WINDOWS/system32/svchost.exe is this safe to permit ?
    > >
    > > Also for some reason I am now reading Newsgroups in smaller text than
    > > usual
    > > and I`ve noticed this in Windows Security Centre too ? Whats that all
    > > about ?
    > >
    > > Please help me...
    > >
    > > Caroline Thom
    > > --
    > > Don't worry Be happy !

    Hi will,

    I read the article but I couldn't really tell or understand if this means
    that it is safe or not ???

    I`ll let it access net - it didn't say it was unsafe ?
    --
    Don't worry Be happy !

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You can read about svchost.exe here:
    >
    > "A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "TomCatEss76" <cattom200476@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I just got my computer back on line after a Panda Software trial messed up
    > > my PC for last week (XP Home)...Anyway...My Norton internet Security 2002
    > > (although its out of date) ask me if I should permit acces to the internet
    > > for this :-C:/WINDOWS/system32/svchost.exe is this safe to permit ?
    > >
    > > Also for some reason I am now reading Newsgroups in smaller text than
    > > usual
    > > and I`ve noticed this in Windows Security Centre too ? Whats that all
    > > about ?
    > >
    > > Please help me...
    > >
    > > Caroline Thom
    > > --
    > > Don't worry Be happy !

    Hi

    Yes, it is safe to allow svchost.exe access to the Internet.

    --

    > Hi will,
    >
    > I read the article but I couldn't really tell or understand if this means
    > that it is safe or not ???
    >
    > I`ll let it access net - it didn't say it was unsafe ?
    > --
    > Don't worry Be happy !
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> You can read about svchost.exe here:
    >>
    >> "A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "TomCatEss76" <cattom200476@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I just got my computer back on line after a Panda Software trial messed
    >> > up
    >> > my PC for last week (XP Home)...Anyway...My Norton internet Security
    >> > 2002
    >> > (although its out of date) ask me if I should permit acces to the
    >> > internet
    >> > for this :-C:/WINDOWS/system32/svchost.exe is this safe to permit ?
    >> >
    >> > Also for some reason I am now reading Newsgroups in smaller text than
    >> > usual
    >> > and I`ve noticed this in Windows Security Centre too ? Whats that all
    >> > about ?
    >> >
    >> > Please help me...
    >> >
    >> > Caroline Thom
    >> > --