GURPS computer program?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Greetings! I recently bought the 4th-Edition basic books, after years
of running GURPS 3rd-Edition (and 3rd-revised). I'm still familiarizing
myself with the changes, but it looks really cool.

Anywho, I'll be GMing an "Urban Fantasy" campaign fairly soon, and I'm
needing to make a lot of NPCs and some back-up and loner PCs. It seems
to me that the computer would be of great help in this (as well as
helping the players create their characters), but I don't see anything
for use with 4th-Edition. I would consider buying Character Builder or
some such, but it only does 3rd. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
THOR

--
Any unsolicited commercial e-mail messages to my account
may be subject to prosecution under the "Can Spam" act.

Thor Thomas schrieb:
> Greetings! I recently bought the 4th-Edition basic books, after years
> of running GURPS 3rd-Edition (and 3rd-revised). I'm still familiarizing
> myself with the changes, but it looks really cool.
>
> Anywho, I'll be GMing an "Urban Fantasy" campaign fairly soon, and I'm
> needing to make a lot of NPCs and some back-up and loner PCs. It seems
> to me that the computer would be of great help in this (as well as
> helping the players create their characters), but I don't see anything
> for use with 4th-Edition. I would consider buying Character Builder or
> some such, but it only does 3rd. Any suggestions?

I would wait till March. Then SJ publishes the GURPS Character Assistent:
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/characterassistant/

Hope, that helps...

Kristian

"Kristian Domke" <news@neither-nor.net> wrote in message
> Thor Thomas schrieb:
> > Greetings! I recently bought the 4th-Edition basic books, after years
> > of running GURPS 3rd-Edition (and 3rd-revised). I'm still familiarizing
> > myself with the changes, but it looks really cool.
> >
> > Anywho, I'll be GMing an "Urban Fantasy" campaign fairly soon, and I'm
> > needing to make a lot of NPCs and some back-up and loner PCs. It seems
> > to me that the computer would be of great help in this (as well as
> > helping the players create their characters), but I don't see anything
> > for use with 4th-Edition. I would consider buying Character Builder or
> > some such, but it only does 3rd. Any suggestions?
> >

> I would wait till March. Then SJ publishes the GURPS Character Assistent:
> http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/characterassistant/
>
> Hope, that helps...

Until the official release in April (yes, April, the initial March release
date was incorrect) there's always the GURPS Character Assistant v3
preview/Beta which is available directly from Armins website:
http://www.misersoft.com/gca

The Daily Illuminator with the updated release date:
http://tinyurl.com/6zkvq

--
ericbsmith http://home.stny.rr.com/gurpsland
@earthling.net http://firedrake.org/eric_gurpsland/

Eric B. Smith wrote:

> "Kristian Domke" <news@neither-nor.net> wrote

> > I would wait till March. Then SJ publishes the GURPS Character
Assistent:
> > http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/characterassistant/

> Until the official release in April (yes, April, the initial March
release
> date was incorrect) there's always the GURPS Character Assistant v3
> preview/Beta which is available directly from Armins website:
> http://www.misersoft.com/gca

Many thanks to Kristian and Eric. I will check out the GCA preview,
hopefully that should hold me through April (looks like the campaign
starts next month) and if I like it, I will certainly buy the official
release. I assume this is a program for Windows systems? I can do
Linux, Windows-NT, Amiga, or even (if I absolutely have to) MS-DOS
(next year I'm planning on adding a Mac to my collection).

THOR

--

Eric B. Smith schrieb:
> Until the official release in April (yes, April, the initial March release
> date was incorrect) ...

OK, I was looking at sjgames.com for the date. But they are not as good
in website-updates, as they used to be....

> ... there's always the GURPS Character Assistant v3
> preview/Beta which is available directly from Armins website:
> http://www.misersoft.com/gca

But that is R3 again, not 4th edition...

Thor Thomas schrieb:
> I assume this is a program for Windows systems? I can do
> Linux, Windows-NT, Amiga, or even (if I absolutely have to) MS-DOS
> (next year I'm planning on adding a Mac to my collection).

Hooray, another collector....

But Honestly: Its windows of course....

Kristian

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Hmm... I thought that was some supplement for GURPS Paranoia.

--
"In any case, don't stress too much--cortisol inhibits muscular
hypertrophy. " -- Eric Dodd

Kristian Domke wrote:
> Eric B. Smith schrieb:

>> ... there's always the GURPS Character Assistant v3
>> preview/Beta which is available directly from Armins website:
>> http://www.misersoft.com/gca
>
> But that is R3 again, not 4th edition...

Read the whole page: GCA3 comes with files for both 3rd and 4th edition
GURPS.

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)

> Eric B. Smith schrieb:
> > Until the official release in April (yes, April, the initial March
release
> > date was incorrect) ...
>
> OK, I was looking at sjgames.com for the date. But they are not as good
> in website-updates, as they used to be....

They've had a lot on their plate lately with the addition of the Forums,
e23, and lord knows what else with the website (not to mention the release
of 4th edition).

> But that is R3 again, not 4th edition...

As someone else mentioned, it comes with both 3rd and 4th edition files.

"Thor Thomas" <sagecat@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Many thanks to Kristian and Eric. I will check out the GCA preview,
> hopefully that should hold me through April (looks like the campaign
> starts next month) and if I like it, I will certainly buy the official
> release.

Keep in mind that the version SJGames will distribute will officially be GCA
v4, and is slated to have even more features than GCA v3 (or the v3 Preview)
has. What those features will be I'm not sure...

> I assume this is a program for Windows systems? I can do
> Linux, Windows-NT, Amiga, or even (if I absolutely have to) MS-DOS
> (next year I'm planning on adding a Mac to my collection).

GCA v3+ officially supports WinME and XP, but there's no reason it shouldn't
work with Win9X (it won't be officially supported, but it should run).

--

Thor Thomas wrote:

> Anywho, I'll be GMing an "Urban Fantasy" campaign fairly soon, and
I'm
> needing to make a lot of NPCs and some back-up and loner PCs.

Why not just assign NPCs the abilities you think they need and just not
worry about points unless it becomes important later?

Brandon

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

> Until the official release in April (yes, April, the initial March release
> date was incorrect) there's always the GURPS Character Assistant v3
> preview/Beta which is available directly from Armins website:
> http://www.misersoft.com/gca
>
> The Daily Illuminator with the updated release date:
> http://tinyurl.com/6zkvq

Too bad, not April either, I am afraid:
http://www.sjgames.com/newproducts/nrtext.html
Almost at the bottom...

--

According to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle, chaos is found in greatest
abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order,

(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)

copeab@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thor Thomas wrote:
>>Anywho, I'll be GMing an "Urban Fantasy" campaign fairly soon, and
> I'm
>>needing to make a lot of NPCs and some back-up and loner PCs.
>
> Why not just assign NPCs the abilities you think they need and just not
> worry about points unless it becomes important later?

Because he has a *healthy* attitude towards GMing?

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:55:05 +0100, Peter Knutsen
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

>copeab@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Thor Thomas wrote:
>>>Anywho, I'll be GMing an "Urban Fantasy" campaign fairly soon, and
>> I'm
>>>needing to make a lot of NPCs and some back-up and loner PCs.
>>
>> Why not just assign NPCs the abilities you think they need and just not
>> worry about points unless it becomes important later?
>
>Because he has a *healthy* attitude towards GMing?

"Anal" does not mean "healthy". Adding up the points is a waste of
time when you have an unlimited budget to play with.