Automatic Update - File Location

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone is enjoying this hot weather! We're in a little drought over
here on the east coast. I thank God that he sent us some rain this morning
though!

On an XP machine, with the Automatic Update feature turned on with the
option to download the files automatically selected, where are these files
located? I've got a disk space problem, and it happened recently. Can anyone
tell me where Automatic Update stores the files it downloads for updates? I
want to check in the folder and see what's going on. (smile)

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Anthony Smith
In God We Trust!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

Tell us about this "disk problem", Anthony, and how it relates to Automatic
Update.

The info needed to install updates is located at %windir%:\WUTemp (e.g.,
C:\WUTemp) by default.

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=306525
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Anthony Smith wrote:
> I hope everyone is enjoying this hot weather! We're in a little drought
> over here on the east coast. I thank God that he sent us some rain this
> morning though!
>
> On an XP machine, with the Automatic Update feature turned on with the
> option to download the files automatically selected, where are these files
> located? I've got a disk space problem, and it happened recently. Can
> anyone tell me where Automatic Update stores the files it downloads for
> updates? I want to check in the folder and see what's going on. (smile)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sincerely,
> Anthony Smith
> In God We Trust!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

This hard drive only had maybe less than 1 mb, so I deleted a lot of files
and uninstalled quite a few programs and freed up close to 300 mb. When I
restarted the system it soon told me I was low on disk space. I'm close to
replacing this PC, but I have to have as much free space as possible till I
get the new pc. Thanks! Have a blessed day!
> Tell us about this "disk problem", Anthony, and how it relates to
> Automatic Update.
>
> The info needed to install updates is located at %windir%:\WUTemp (e.g.,
> C:\WUTemp) by default.
>
> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=306525
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Anthony Smith wrote:
>> I hope everyone is enjoying this hot weather! We're in a little drought
>> over here on the east coast. I thank God that he sent us some rain this
>> morning though!
>>
>> On an XP machine, with the Automatic Update feature turned on with the
>> option to download the files automatically selected, where are these
>> files
>> located? I've got a disk space problem, and it happened recently. Can
>> anyone tell me where Automatic Update stores the files it downloads for
>> updates? I want to check in the folder and see what's going on. (smile)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Anthony Smith
>> In God We Trust!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

65. Disable Low Disk Space Message

Or use Tweak UI.

Tweak UI
[+] Taskbar and Start menu
? Warn when now on disk space

Warn when now on disk space
[[This controls whether a balloon tip appears when Explorer detects that a
drive is running low on available disk space. Only administrators will
receive this warning. You must log off and back on to this setting to take
effect.]]

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
===

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

===

Or...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer
NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
REG_DWORD
0 or 1
0 = Warning
1 = No warning

Description of the Low Disk Space Notification in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285107

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23Pzi2qBfFHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Anthony Smith <anthony@peconet.com> hunted and pecked:

1. Take Out the Trash: http://aumha.org/a/health.htm

2. Defrag: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314848
--
~PA Bear

Anthony Smith wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I hope everyone is enjoying this hot weather! We're in a little
> drought over here on the east coast. I thank God that he sent us some
> rain this morning though!
>
> On an XP machine, with the Automatic Update feature turned on with the
> option to download the files automatically selected, where are these
> files located? I've got a disk space problem, and it happened
> recently. Can anyone tell me where Automatic Update stores the files
> it downloads for updates? I want to check in the folder and see
> what's going on. (smile)
> Thanks!
>
> Sincerely,
> Anthony Smith
> In God We Trust!

God is taking up space on christian harddrives to prepare for the
Rapture. If you delete the wrong files you won't be taken up in the
Rapture.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

> Anthony Smith wrote:
>> On an XP machine, with the Automatic Update feature turned on with the
>> option to download the files automatically selected, where are these files
>> located? I've got a disk space problem, and it happened recently. Can
>> anyone tell me where Automatic Update stores the files it downloads for
>> updates? I want to check in the folder and see what's going on. (smile)

> Tell us about this "disk problem", Anthony, and how it relates to Automatic
> Update.
>
> The info needed to install updates is located at %windir%:\WUTemp (e.g.,
> C:\WUTemp) by default.
>
> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=306525

Robear,

WUTEMP seems to be a WUv4 implementation detail?

<title>KB836926 - Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not
installed and an "Error 0x80070005: Access is denied" error message is
logged to the Windows Update.log file</title>

Also, considering how many times we saw users have trouble with
WUv4 and network attached drives on which they didn't have sufficient
authority to create directories I doubt that WUTEMP in the system
drive was where the downloads were going then anyways. ;)

FWIW I see no sign of it on XP partititions which have been updated
to use WUv5.

WUv5 clearly uses %windir%\SoftwareDistribution to consolidate
what WUv4 used to spread around onto other drives in its own
mysterious, undocumented way.

I don't know what WUv6 uses.

I think the biggest problem users can have regarding disk space
is that there is no UI or even documentation to support for getting rid of
all the uninstall directories (e.g. $NtUninstall*), especially help in identifying
which ones they are unlikely to need. BTW I don't see any reference to that
problem with those directories in your "take out the trash" link?

Here's another link which at least mentions that case

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

BTW I have seen other suggestions that in a pinch such as Anthony is in
users should be able to copy even $NtUninstall* directories they want
to keep to another drive, giving them the option of restoring it later to its
original drive if they actually wanted to use it. This could be something
which is easy to support with file management utilities or backup applications.
The only problem then is that users have to know which files and directories
are removable.

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

WUv6 uses %windir%\SoftwareDistribution just like WUv5.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u$8MQqWfFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Robert Aldwinckle <robald@techemail.com> hunted and pecked:

Anthony Smith wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I hope everyone is enjoying this hot weather! We're in a little drought over
> here on the east coast. I thank God that he sent us some rain this morning
> though!
>
> On an XP machine, with the Automatic Update feature turned on with the
> option to download the files automatically selected, where are these files
> located? I've got a disk space problem, and it happened recently. Can anyone
> tell me where Automatic Update stores the files it downloads for updates? I
> want to check in the folder and see what's going on. (smile)
Hi,

They go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\

Files in the folder Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ will
be automatically deleted after 10 days, but you can safely
clean out the Download folder yourself after an update is
installed.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup (More info?)

Thanks for doing that digging, Robert.
--
~Robear (AWOL)

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> WUTEMP seems to be a WUv4 implementation detail?
<snip>