Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on laptop to get for home use

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 14, 2009 5:19:10 PM

I am looking for advice on the purchase of a laptop:

1_What is your budget? As little as possible without being short-sighted. $600 - $900

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? My vision is not the greatest. My old laptop is 12" and is too small. Would like at least 15" I guess. My desktop is 20" and that is awesome.

3_What screen resolution do you want? No idea, but I do like to see nice graphics while playing internet games.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Don't travel much, just want to be able to use it around the house.

5_How much battery life do you need? A few hours is fine. Can just plug it in.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? We play kids games online, Runescape on HD, WoW, Battlefield, Star Wars Battlefront, that sort of thing... Kids are getting older so games getting more sophisticated which is becoming a problem.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.) Social media, surf the web, email, online games.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? I have 160 on current desktop and that is fine until the kids try to add too many games. Min 160 but more would be good considering I would like to use this for a while.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Saw the Dell Outlet store which looked like it had good prices.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? Current laptop lasted 5 years, would like this one to last just as long.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them. I just want it to boot up quickly and not stall out during use. Read that a faster HD is important, good video card is important, lots of RAM is important... just not sure how much of these things I need for what we do with the computer. No need to pay for something we won't use.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference really.

13_What country do you live in? USA

Thanks in advance for the help!

More about : advice laptop home

January 18, 2009 10:00:38 PM

Thanks for the link. Which operating system do you recommend? Also, there is an option for "Turbo Memory" 2GB at $45... is it worth it? Thanks again for the help!
a c 244 D Laptop
January 19, 2009 9:01:31 AM

Turbo memory inst worth it it wont boos the performance much.
For OS,i say go for VISTA Home premium,but if u want extra security features then go for ultimate.(the main difference between ultimate and premium is the ultimates extra security features.)
!