Advantages you can turn off: what cost?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Usually the character can "turn off" some advantages, in the rare
cases they become "disadvantageous" :p

Some, like Charisma and Appearance, are "always ON" by default.

But what about modifying advantages in order to make them switchable
to "OFF"?

Example: a goddess is merely "Beautiful", but at will she can be Very
Beautiful (Universal) plus several levels of Charisma, etc... Which is
the same to say the goddess is Very Beautiful, etc, but she can
conceal part of her magnificiency to appear a mortal woman.

I'd suggest a +10% modifier, or, if the advantages are MANY, an
Alternative Form identical but with fewer advantages (or lessened
versions of the same).

Any suggestions?
Other ways to build this kind of character?

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

This is generically Switchable (+10%), and optionally Variable (+5%) if
there are different levels of the advantage. All already defined in
Basic.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:53:19 GMT, korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it (Korin
Duval) wrote:

>Usually the character can "turn off" some advantages, in the rare
>cases they become "disadvantageous" :p
>
>Some, like Charisma and Appearance, are "always ON" by default.
>
>But what about modifying advantages in order to make them switchable
>to "OFF"?
>
>Example: a goddess is merely "Beautiful", but at will she can be Very
>Beautiful (Universal) plus several levels of Charisma, etc... Which is
>the same to say the goddess is Very Beautiful, etc, but she can
>conceal part of her magnificiency to appear a mortal woman.
>
>I'd suggest a +10% modifier,

I'd suggest you make it "Free". Because any potentially inconvenient
advantage is switchable for free except for physical features like a
tail. I certainly wouldn't charge anyone for the "power" to turn off
the charm.

"Korin Duval" <korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it> wrote in message

> Usually the character can "turn off" some advantages, in the rare
> cases they become "disadvantageous" :p
>
> Some, like Charisma and Appearance, are "always ON" by default.
>
> But what about modifying advantages in order to make them switchable
> to "OFF"?
>
> Example: a goddess is merely "Beautiful", but at will she can be Very
> Beautiful (Universal) plus several levels of Charisma, etc... Which is
> the same to say the goddess is Very Beautiful, etc, but she can
> conceal part of her magnificiency to appear a mortal woman.
>
> I'd suggest a +10% modifier, or, if the advantages are MANY, an
> Alternative Form identical but with fewer advantages (or lessened
> versions of the same).
>
> Any suggestions?
> Other ways to build this kind of character?
>
> Korin Duval
>
> --

My personal preference is to just assign numbers off the cuff. The effect
is more valuable with some advantages than others. In the above case, I
would only charge points for it if the change in appearance was enough to
count as a disguise.