Taskbar Speaker Icon

Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go to
sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
panel to add it each time I start my computer?
7 answers Last reply
More about taskbar speaker icon

    What happened?
    when did it stop and why?

    Does this issue happen with another user?

    Try a new user.

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;279783

    "Richard" wrote:

    > Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go to
    > sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
    > clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
    > control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
    > panel to add it each time I start my computer?

    I'm not sure when it happened, I have been having to do this for about a
    month now. I'm the only user on my computer, no one else has a account on
    it.

    Richard wrote:

    > Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go to
    > sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
    > clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
    > control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
    > panel to add it each time I start my computer?

    Try running the edit on Kelly's site, line 320, "Restore Volume/Net Icon
    to Notification Area" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

    See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi Richard,

    Based on my experience, this issue may caused by multiple reasons, and you
    may take Rock's advise as a workaround, but please note that the method
    need to modify Registry, before you do it, please make sure to back it up.

    As I said, this issue may caused by multiple reasons, you may follow those
    methods as below, I think they can helps.

    Method 1:
    ============
    This issue can be caused by the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service:
    1. Click Start->Control Panel and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    3. Click to highlight "Networking Services" in the list and then click
    Detail.
    4. Uncheck "Universal Plug and Play" and then click OK.
    5. Click Next and following instructions on the screen to disable the
    service.
    6. Reboot the computer and check if the issue is resolved.

    Method 2:
    ============
    You may try to boot into Safe Mode to see if this issue occurs. If this
    issue disappear, I suspect it may caused by some third-party applications.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks) in
    the open box and click OK.
    2. Under the Service tab, check "Hide All Microsoft Services", and then
    uncheck all the services listed.
    3. Under the General tab, put a check next to "Selective Startup", please
    click to uncheck "Load Startup Items" and click OK.
    4. Please choose Yes to restart the computer.
    5. Check this issue.

    If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
    check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Selective
    Startup" menu until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
    these steps:

    1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
    each line in that file.
    2. Click the Apply button
    3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
    4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
    5. Click the Apply button.
    6. Reboot your computer.

    When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
    causing this issue.

    Method 3:
    =============
    Check that if you have installed the update " KB821557". Try to uninstall
    it to see if this issue still occurs.

    Method 4:
    =============
    Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your
    computer:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
    Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP installation media.
    3. Test to determine if the issue is resolved.

    I hope these information I provided here can be of assistance. Thank you
    for using Microsoft Newsgroup. Thanks all replier in this thread for
    attention.

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Richard" <someone@somewhere.com>
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    | Subject: Taskbar Speaker Icon
    | Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:36:14 -0700
    |
    | Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go
    | sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
    | clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
    | control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
    | panel to add it each time I start my computer?

    Thank you Bruce, I did as you suggested and now have my volume control icon
    back on the taskbar.

    Richard

    "Richard" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go
    > to sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to
    > the clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
    > control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
    > panel to add it each time I start my computer?

    YW.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

    > Thank you Bruce, I did as you suggested and now have my volume control
    > icon back on the taskbar.
    >
    > Richard
    >

    > "Richard" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go
    >> to sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to
    >> the clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the
    >> volume control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the
    >> control panel to add it each time I start my computer?

    I had the same exact issue.

    I came to this thread.

    I downloaded on Kelly's site, line 320, "Restore Volume/Net Icon
    to Notification Area" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    like the user Rock has posted on this thread.

    After downloaidng it, the volume control icon has been restored.

    Before I downloaded that, however, I had all Startup Items unchecked in
    the System COnfiguration Utility that you can access by click "start",
    "run" and typing "msconfig".

    After downloading, I checked the Startup Items in the System
    Configuration Utility, and I saw the item "SysTray" checked. I
    unchecked it, and then the volume control icon did not appear again
    when I restarted my PC. I checked it, and the volume control icon
    appeared.

    --
    classik
    classik's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1329

Control Panel Taskbar Speakers Computers Microsoft Windows XP