Put in a new DVD Burner.. now comp wont start

Gejj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
really strange... So I bought new Sony 4x oem DVD Burner, I took out my old CD burner and put the DVD one in its place.. no big deal simple stuff. While I was at it i took some Blow Off (stuff a bought from a computer store a few years ago) and I blew alot of dust out of the computer (done this many times before) Once I finished all that I plugged everything back in, hit the computer power button.... and nothing happens. Well all the happens is the small lights in the computer turn on, including the green light in the front that says the computer is on, and the fans twitch alittle and then nothing else. The computer is not starting anymore for some reason. I've checked all the wires in the computer to make sure none were loose, I even unplugged then replugged alot of them to make sure they were in tight and no luck. I took out the new DVD burner and put back in my old CD burner and it doesnt change anything. I'm really stumped I have no idea what I could have done. Everything was working perfectly before I replaced the cd rom. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasnt sure where to post. =(

Gejj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
theres some V switch on the back of the power supply. I switch that over to a higher level and the computers fans and everything started spinning but the monitor said no signal on it. I only had the power cord and the monitor cord plugged in, so I turned it off and plugged everything else in and press the power button, and got no response this time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG the V switch is NOT to be messed with unless you know what you're doing, and could fry everything. It's there to set your voltage for either 110V (North America) or 220V (most other countries).

Sometimes those are called 115/230 or 120/240, based on the voltage limits of 110-120 and 220-240 for home power.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Based on what you've said, what is in your system, and what is your psu rated at?

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What I just said? I live in North America, which includes the U.S. and Cananda :smile: , my power supply runs on 115v household current! In fact, everything I own that plugs into a wall uses 115v household current!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Sorry Crash, meant to ask that question to him, not you. :redface:

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl