Doctor Who's looks?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'd like to get a concensus on the Appearance levels of the characters
in "Doctor Who". For those of you familliar with the series, if you
have the time, please post your opinions. (I don't mean to be
demanding, but please don't just quote other RPGs!)

Here's what I have so far. Feel free to add or modify...

Doctor #1 (Hartnell) ... ?
Barbara ... ?
Ian ... ?
Susan ... ?
Vicki ... ?
Polly ... ?
Ben ... ?
Meddling Monk ... ?

Doctor #2 (Troughton) ... ?
Lethbridge-Stewart ... Handsome
Zoe ... ?
Jamie ... ?

Doctor #3 (Pertwee) ... ?
Liz ... ?
Jo ... Attractive; Pitiable
Master #1 (Delgado) ... Handsome
Sarah-Jane

Doctor #4 (Tom Baker) ... ?
Leela ... ?
Romana #1 ... ?
Romana #2 ... ?
Adric ... ?
K9 ... [just kidding]

Doctor #5 (Davison) ... Attractive; Honest Face
Teegan ... ?
Turlough ... ?
Peri ... Beautiful (Very?)

Doctor #6 (Colin Baker) ... ?
Mel ... ?

Doctor #7 (McCoy) ... ?
Ace ... ?

Doctor #8 (McGann) ... ?
Grace ... ?

-- Matt Jozwiak

"Red Beard" <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to get a concensus on the Appearance levels of the characters
> in "Doctor Who". For those of you familliar with the series, if you
> have the time, please post your opinions. (I don't mean to be
> demanding, but please don't just quote other RPGs!)
>
> Here's what I have so far. Feel free to add or modify...
>
> Doctor #1 (Hartnell) ... ?
> Barbara ... ?
> Ian ... ?
> Susan ... ?
> Vicki ... ?
> Polly ... ?
> Ben ... ?
> Meddling Monk ... ?
>
> Doctor #2 (Troughton) ... ?
> Lethbridge-Stewart ... Handsome
> Zoe ... ?
> Jamie ... ?
>
> Doctor #3 (Pertwee) ... ?
> Liz ... ?
> Jo ... Attractive; Pitiable
> Master #1 (Delgado) ... Handsome
> Sarah-Jane
>
> Doctor #4 (Tom Baker) ... ?
> Leela ... ?
> Romana #1 ... ?
> Romana #2 ... ?
> Adric ... ?
> K9 ... [just kidding]
>
> Doctor #5 (Davison) ... Attractive; Honest Face
> Teegan ... ?
> Turlough ... ?
> Peri ... Beautiful (Very?)
>
> Doctor #6 (Colin Baker) ... ?
> Mel ... ?
>
> Doctor #7 (McCoy) ... ?
> Ace ... ?
>
> Doctor #8 (McGann) ... ?
> Grace ... ?
>

> -- Matt Jozwiak

Whatever you say it is. IMHO Doctor #4 two levels, K9 0 points, Leela two
levels.

Red Beard wrote:
> I'd like to get a concensus on the Appearance levels of the characters
> in "Doctor Who". For those of you familliar with the series, if you
> have the time, please post your opinions. (I don't mean to be
> demanding, but please don't just quote other RPGs!)

Keep in mind that the Appearance of the *actors* and
*actresses* playing these characters is of no relevance
whatsoever.

The important bit is how others *react* to the characters.
For instance, do female NPCs constantly fall in love with
the 1st Dr. Who? If yes, is there any explanation for this
other than high Appearance, e.g. that he has Charisma, or he
has a high Seduction skill? If no, then he has
higher-than-average Appearance, and you must figure out how
high it is.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:05:55 +0100, Peter Knutsen
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
>The important bit is how others *react* to the characters.

Qualified by the fact that this was classified as a daytime/children's
show, with any romantic angle played down a lot, so those sorts of

For example, Jon Pertwee was clearly playing the Doctor as dashing and
stylish, and in another show, would probably have flirted mercilessly
with many female characters. But, being the Doctor, he was treated as
functionally sexless, and never attracted much female attention.
(Still, I'd probably give him Attractive, or possibly Handsome; the
dandyish looks were part of the character's ability to get
co-operation from others.)

--
Phil Masters http://www.philm.demon.co.uk
Consternation: RPG Convention, Cambridge, 2005:

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:05:55 +0100, Peter Knutsen
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

>Keep in mind that the Appearance of the *actors* and
>*actresses* playing these characters is of no relevance
>whatsoever.

To some extent, I do agree with that. Certainly the Time Lords
would've had the technology to eliminate things like bad teeth. But I
must also consider one of the other user's comments about how the show
was deliberately absent of sexuality because it was mostly for kids,
which leaves us with little more that the actors' looks to go by.

To answer another user who suggested that I should set the Appearance
levels to whatever I wish... That would be contrary to what I want to
achieve here. My reason for taking this opinion poll is to get the
public's average impression. If I just assigned the Appearance levels
based on my own preferences, other Who-fans might find the results
unrealistic.

-- M.J.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:54:25 -1000, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net>
wrote:

>IMHO Doctor #4 two levels, K9 0 points, Leela two levels.

Noted in my survey sheet. Thanks.

-- M.J.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:36:22 +0000, Phil Masters
<phil@philm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>For example, Jon Pertwee...
>... But, being the Doctor, he was treated as
>functionally sexless, and never attracted much female attention.
>(Still, I'd probably give him Attractive, or possibly Handsome; the

So, which do *you* think: Attractive or Handsome?

-- M.J.

Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> writes:

>Red Beard wrote:
>> I'd like to get a concensus on the Appearance levels of the characters
>> in "Doctor Who". For those of you familliar with the series, if you
>> have the time, please post your opinions. (I don't mean to be
>> demanding, but please don't just quote other RPGs!)

>Keep in mind that the Appearance of the *actors* and
>*actresses* playing these characters is of no relevance
>whatsoever.

Well, not if there was any attention paid to casting.

Although that's not really a safe assumption considering
the production values of the show.

>The important bit is how others *react* to the characters.
>For instance, do female NPCs constantly fall in love with
>the 1st Dr. Who? If yes, is there any explanation for this
>other than high Appearance, e.g. that he has Charisma, or he
>has a high Seduction skill? If no, then he has
>higher-than-average Appearance, and you must figure out how
>high it is.

I suppose the difference between Charisma and Appearance-but-
you-can't-really-see-it is there, but it'd be hard to determine.

--
"Whoso would be a man must be a HEY LET'S GO RIDE OUR BIKES!"
- "Self-Reliance", by Ralph Waldo Emerson (first draft)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote:
: I'd like to get a concensus on the Appearance levels of the characters
: in "Doctor Who". For those of you familliar with the series, if you

My try - IMHO, of course ...

Doctor #1 (Hartnell) ... Average (for a crotchety old man)
Barbara ... Unattractive, but I wouldn't argue with average
Ian ... Attractive, possible handsome (hero type)
Susan ... Attractive
Vicki ...
Polly ... Beautiful
Ben ... Average
Meddling Monk ... Average

Doctor #2 (Troughton) ... Average
Lethbridge-Stewart ... Handsome
Zoe ... Attractive (but with high charisma)
Jamie ... Handsome
(Victoria ... Attractive to Beautiful)

Doctor #3 (Pertwee) ... Average
Liz ... Average
Jo ... Average
: Master #1 (Delgado) ... Handsome
Sarah-Jane ... Attractive

Doctor #4 (Tom Baker) ... Attractive
Leela ... Beautiful (but blissfully unaware of it)
Romana #1 ... Very beautiful (but painfully aware of it)
Romana #2 ... Attractive (but I have heard others rate her higher)
Adric ... Average
: K9 ... [just kidding]

: Doctor #5 (Davison) ... Attractive; Honest Face
Teegan ... Attractive
Turlough ... Average
Peri ... Very Beautiful (moreso outside of Who, though)

Doctor #6 (Colin Baker) ... Average
Mel ... Average

Doctor #7 (McCoy) ... Average
Ace ... Attractive

Doctor #8 (McGann) ... Attractive
Grace ... Beautiful

Dan Giese
dray@uwm.edu

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Daniel Ray Giese <dray@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> abagooba zoink larblortch

> Romana #2 ... Attractive (but I have heard others rate her higher)

Average with some Charisma.

> Teegan ... Attractive
> Turlough ... Average
> Peri ... Very Beautiful (moreso outside of Who, though)

Attractive, with great big hooters (would function as a "Reputation", I'd
guess)

> Doctor #7 (McCoy) ... Average
> Ace ... Attractive

Beautiful

> Doctor #8 (McGann) ... Attractive
> Grace ... Beautiful

Attractive plus way too much makeup (too skinny, too).

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <cu0vmt$9r0$1@uwm.edu>,
Daniel Ray Giese <dray@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote:

>Doctor #3 (Pertwee) ... Average
>Doctor #4 (Tom Baker) ... Attractive

You're kidding, right? Pertwee, while not a sexual icon, was otherwise
about as attractive as a man his age could be expected to be. He had an
impressive face; the old fox whose ethical standards, technical
competence, and meddling were perfectly British. And Baker, he sort of
defined Dr. Who (at least for Americans), but, well, I suppose the term
"butt ugly" is a bit strong...

--
"What are the possibilities of small but movable machines? They may or
may not be useful, but they surely would be fun to make."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 02:21:18 +0000 (UTC),
glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

>You're kidding, right? Pertwee, while not a sexual icon, was otherwise
>about as attractive as a man his age could be expected to be. He had an
>impressive face; the old fox whose ethical standards, technical
>competence, and meddling were perfectly British. And Baker, he sort of
>defined Dr. Who (at least for Americans), but, well, I suppose the term
>"butt ugly" is a bit strong...

Now-now, everybody has their [incorrect] opnions! :D I've made a
spreadsheet, and I'm totalling the data for each character, giving
definitive votes a "1" and split votes a "0.5" in each.

Please, whoever has an opinion, feel free to speak up, even if for
just a character or two! Thanks.

-- Matt Jozwiak

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:45:23 -0500, Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com>
wrote:

>I'd like to get a concensus on the Appearance levels of the characters
>in "Doctor Who". For those of you familliar with the series, if you
>have the time, please post your opinions. (I don't mean to be
>demanding, but please don't just quote other RPGs!)
>
>Here's what I have so far. Feel free to add or modify...
>
>Doctor #1 (Hartnell) ... ?
>Barbara ... ?
>Ian ... ?
>Susan ... ?
>Vicki ... ?
>Polly ... ?
>Ben ... ?
>Meddling Monk ... ?
>
>Doctor #2 (Troughton) ... ?
>Lethbridge-Stewart ... Handsome
>Zoe ... ?
>Jamie ... ?
>
>Doctor #3 (Pertwee) ... ?

Handsome (Impressive)

>Liz ... ?
>Jo ... Attractive; Pitiable
>Master #1 (Delgado) ... Handsome
>Sarah-Jane

Attractive

>Doctor #4 (Tom Baker) ... ?

Average. With Voice.

>Leela ... ?

Beautiful

>Romana #1 ... ?

Very Beautiful

>Romana #2 ... ?

Attractive.

>Adric ... ?
>K9 ... [just kidding]
>
>Doctor #5 (Davison) ... Attractive; Honest Face
>Teegan ... ?
>Turlough ... ?

Handsome.

>Peri ... Beautiful (Very?)
>
>Doctor #6 (Colin Baker) ... ?
>Mel ... ?
>
>Doctor #7 (McCoy) ... ?

Average

>Ace ... ?
>
>Doctor #8 (McGann) ... ?
>Grace ... ?
>

>-- Matt Jozwiak

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'd like to apologize for the confusing way I started this survey in
the "Doctor Who's looks" thread. By including my opinions with the
survey form, I made it impossible to tell whether a user's response
was an agreement with my opinion or just a quote from the listing.

Below is the list I now have in my spreadsheet, just in case anybody
wants to re-print their suggestions in an improved survey format.

-- Matt Jozwiak

The Doctor #1
Susan
Barbara
Ian
Vicki
Katarina
Steven
Dodo
Ben
Polly

The Doctor #2
Jamie
Victoria
Zoe
Sgt. Benton
The Brigadier

The Doctor #3
Capt. Yates
Liz
Jo
Sarah Jane

The Doctor #4
Harry
Leela
K9
Romana #1
Romana #2
Adric
Nyssa
Tegan

The Doctor #5
Turlough
Kamelion
Peri

The Doctor #6
Mel

The Doctor #7
Ace

The Doctor #8
Grace

The Master #1
The Master #2
The Monk
The Rani
Davros

Rodney

Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote in message news:<us4a01ltqnt1egs19d9kshpqufj06vcisa@4ax.com>...

> The Doctor #1
Average.

> Susan
Average.

> Barbara
Average (one might refer to her as a 'handsome' woman, but not a
Beautiful, or even really an attractive, one).

> Ian
Attractive.

> Vicki
Cute, but not attractive.

> Katarina
Attractive.

> Steven
Attractive.

> Dodo
Average.

> Ben
Average.

> Polly
Beautiful.

> The Doctor #2
Average.

> Jamie
Average.

> Victoria
Beautiful.

> Zoe
Beautiful (in 'The Invasion' she was asked to model).

> Sgt. Benton
Average.

> The Brigadier
Average.

> The Doctor #3
Intriguing face, but average, with Charisma +4.

> Capt. Yates
Attractive (he was supposed to be a bit of a swinger).

> Liz
Attractive.

> Jo
Beautiful.

> Sarah Jane
Attractive, with Charisma +1.

> The Doctor #4
Odd looking, but average with Charisma +5.

> Harry
Hmm. Average or attractive.

> Leela
Attractive.

> Romana #1
Beautiful.

> Romana #2
Attractive.

> Adric
Average, with Odious Personal Habit: Adric.

> Nyssa
Didn't float my boat, but no doubt Beautiful.

> Tegan
Average.

> The Doctor #5
Attractive.

> Turlough
Average, possibly even Unattractive.

> Peri
Attractive.

> The Doctor #6
Average.

> Mel
Average.

> The Doctor #7
Average.

> Ace
Average for mine, but fanboy opinion should put her at at Attractive.

> The Doctor #8
Handsome (no brainer, ask a female Who fan).

> Grace
The TV Movie suggests she is Beautiful, though Daphne Ashbrook is
probably only Attractive.

> The Master #1
Average, with Charisma +4.

> The Master #2
Average, maybe Charisma +1, though more maniacal than diabolical.

> The Monk
Average.

> The Rani
Average (another 'handsome' woman).

> Davros
Hideous.

Rodney Payne (Average)

On 5 Mar 2005 07:50:23 -0800, spuri0us@hotmail.com (Rodney) wrote:

>Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote in message news:<us4a01ltqnt1egs19d9kshpqufj06vcisa@4ax.com>...
>
>> The Doctor #1
>Average.
>> Davros
>Hideous.
>
>Rodney Payne (Average)

Thanks for all the input!

-- M.J.

Red Beard wrote:
> I'd like to apologize for the confusing way I started this survey in
> the "Doctor Who's looks" thread. By including my opinions with the
> survey form, I made it impossible to tell whether a user's response
> was an agreement with my opinion or just a quote from the listing.
>
> Below is the list I now have in my spreadsheet, just in case anybody
> wants to re-print their suggestions in an improved survey format.
>
> -- Matt Jozwiak
>

> The Doctor #1

Attractive, in a sense...maybe average with Charisma +2.

> Susan

Attractive.

> The Doctor #2

Average

> Jamie

Average

> Zoe

Attractive at the time, a little more passage of time and maturity
would take her all the way to beautiful.

> The Brigadier

Average, but Charisma +1, there's something reassuring about his
manner.

> The Doctor #3

Attractive.

> Jo
Attractive

> Sarah Jane

Beautiful with Charisma +2

> The Doctor #4

Average with Charisma +6

> Leela

Very beautiful.

> K9

Not applicable, IMHO.

> Romana #1

Beautiful.

> Romana #2

Very beautiful, with Charisma +2

> Nyssa

Attractive.

> Tegan

Very beautiful.

> The Doctor #5

Attractive.

> Turlough

Unattractive, edging toward Average.

> The Master #2

Handsome, with Charisma +2, but also a -2 penalty for anyone with the
Empathy or Intuition Advantages, i.e. he 'seems fair but feels foul'.

In "The Deadly Assassin", Hideous with massive reaction penalties.

> Davros

Hideous with Charisma -2 (yes, he has Anticharisma).

Shermanlee

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Every already gave their opinion on the older doctors, but here's mine
on two characters that are missing from the survey:

Doctor #9: attractive (possibly a point of charisma, but I think his
hyperactivity would count as a OPH)
Rose: attractive

mcv.

On 11 Apr 2005 16:22:51 GMT, mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Every already gave their opinion on the older doctors, but here's mine
>on two characters that are missing from the survey:
>
>Doctor #9: attractive (possibly a point of charisma, but I think his
> hyperactivity would count as a OPH)

Average with a point in Charisma, IMHO.

>Rose: attractive

Beautiful. (And I'm the type who prefers brunettes...)

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> robkelk -at- gmail -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 11 Apr 2005 16:22:51 GMT, mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Every already gave their opinion on the older doctors, but here's mine
>on two characters that are missing from the survey:

Feel free to include your opinion of any and all characters you're
familiar with. I'm trying to get a braod range of opinions so I can
deduce the "average" of them all for my Doctor Who adaptation.

-- M.J.